Going high. Wanting to go 1500 ft up

Reaction score
I just want to see how many people will admit to going high. I at least want to test and get a quick picture or video and come back down in a minute or two. Please advice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lord knows I see an awful lot of videos on YouTube of guys doing it. 4,000 ft,,,above the clouds, etc. Be aware though, I've also seen some vids where they go that high and crash on the way down. I suspect some of these guys are coming down too fast and causing that weird air cavitation thing under the props (There is a technical name for that which I forget!) and the bird just goes out of control. I am tempted to "Go High" at some point as well, but right now I'm just a one week Phantom owner and I need to get a grasp on how this thing actually works before I get too crazy, lol!

Well, going above 400ft is not technically "illegal," but still, it isn't safe for you (legally and physically), your drone(legally and physically), and any property or people you may be flying over(again, legally and physically).

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Well, going above 400ft is not technically "illegal," but still, it isn't safe for you (legally and physically), your drone(legally and physically), and any property or people you may be flying over(again, legally and physically).
For sure I'm gonna do it over water. As not to put anyone in danger.

I just want to see how many people will admit to going high. I at least want to test and get a quick picture or video and come back down in a minute or two. Please advice.

send us your video when you do.
don't for get to calculate battery time and time needed to descend
or you may get it down real quick!

Reactions: Tony Cowan
send us your video when you do.
don't for get to calculate battery time and time needed to descend
or you may get it down real quick!
Will do for sure. Just trying to get the nerves up. Maybe I just will go 1k up. To say I did it.

due it over the skyway I will look for it in the sky

Went up to 1000', took a couple pics and came down. While I could see a few things I couldn't at 400' it wasn't enough difference to justify the possible downsides.

VRS = Vortex Ring State :)

That's it! I was going to try to find out where I read about this but ya beat me to it, lol! My concern with VRS is that I understand what it is, but I have never seen anything firm about what kind of descent speed will cause it. Or is it maybe kind of fluid, meaning different conditions could factor in it?

200-300' works just fine for me. Any higher I'll get in the plane

I also wonder if I should let it auto land on its own. Or should i be the one bringing it down

tell when your going to due iti would like to see that

Went up to 1000', took a couple pics and came down. While I could see a few things I couldn't at 400' it wasn't enough difference to justify the possible downsides.
This is all I'm planning on as well. In not sure if winds and so on at 1500ft. Could be much different than ground level. Will watch battery entire way. Do you still have flight log on that? Or a pic.

I also wonder if I should let it auto land on its own. Or should i be the one bringing it down
Especially from that height, do manual. Auto land goes much slower and may not be fast enough to reach before battery = ded.

download uav forcast then you can see wind speed up that high

Reactions: jointeffort

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20