Going for a phantom 3

Reaction score
So my vision plus is acting up. I see the prices have gone down on the P3 standard. I'm not into professional pictures or anything, so camera quality isn't too important. What do the others offer that the standard doesn't? Which would you get? Do they have ground station yet?

You can compare the differences between the models here.

I own all P3 models. If I could only buy one again, I would buy the P3P if I needed 4K or the P3A if I did not need 4K. The other models really shouldn't even be considered unless money is a factor.

The P3 can fly waypoint missions. It's a little different than the P2 though. You must manually fly the mission first in order to mark the waypoints. To work around that limitation, many people use Litchi since it lets you setup missions from the ground (like the P2).

I can't comment on the ground station thing, as I honestly don't know, the advanced has better positioning technology and further range through DJI lightbridge, and I discovered yesterday from a couple of guys on here that the advanced now sports a 2.7k camera just like the standard, if I could go back and choose again I'd get an advanced, the only thing that the standard wins on is flight time, with upto 25 mins vs the advanced's 23 mins.

In my opinion the advanced version doesn't offer enough to warrant paying $300 more. Nor does the Pro offer anything worth paying $500 more for.

In my opinion the advanced version doesn't offer enough to warrant paying $300 more.
Here are a few things that make that $300 worthwhile for me:

- It uses Lightbridge
- The remote controller is much higher in quality
- The remote controller contains a lot of extra buttons that make it easier to access the features in DJI GO
- The remote controller comes with a tablet holder
- It can connect to both GPS & GLONASS satellites

I wish I had gone for the advanced, at the time I purchased my standard I was certain the advanced only supported 1080p, which is a decent resolution. But I couldn't part with the extra money for a lesser able camera :'(

In my residential area I can get to 2600 feet without losing live video that is plenty far for me as the distance is just for fun not really a necessity. Quality of controller doesn't matter to me as long as it works and works well, which mine does. Extra buttons are cool I guess but I can quickly and easily get to any setting or mode with the app. I don't own a tablet and if I did I could easily rig up a tablet holder. I have not had a single issue with the amount of GPS I get so GLOSNASS isn't missed for me.

No doubt that there advantages but definitely not worth the price to me.

In my opinion the advanced version doesn't offer enough to warrant paying $300 more. Nor does the Pro offer anything worth paying $500 more for.
Do all models have Lightbridge and the same range? Money is definitely a factor but I may consider more if I can get more range with it.

Do all models have Lightbridge and the same range?
The P3P and P3A use Lightbridge and have the same range. The P3S and P34K use Wi-Fi instead of Lightbridge.

The standard does not have lightbridge, it uses standard WiFi transmission with an extender built into the controller.

Do all models have Lightbridge and the same range? Money is definitely a factor but I may consider more if I can get more range with it.
No, the standard does not include Lightbridge. Only you can determine if the additions are worth the extra cash though.

I went with the P3S due to the price I got it for. Knowing what I know now, I'd like to upgrade. But I'll see what the next version offers. Also I'm waiting to see what GoPro brings to the table later this year.

Reactions: twisted1504
not me I'm waiting to see poweregg
upload_2016-2-18_15-7-7.png

Went with the advanced. I like the lightbridge technology. thanks guys.

you will be happy with it

I have been flying a buddy's pro since summer and had been wanting one for a while. When they went on sale I got the standard and almost immediately wished I got the advanced. As said the remote and device holder is better. The lightbridge is hassle free and gives much better range with less problem with interference at close range and in residential neighborhoods. The pro works fine in my back yard but the standard has all kinds of interference. In my house I can't even use the simulator with the standard. If I had the chance to do it over it is worth the extra $300.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

hawkman how far are you getting in neighborhood with distance

Not counting the 4K of the Pro & much nicer controller, what the Advanced/Pro offer over the Standard is 5x the range due to Lightbridge. Being able to fly out 3 miles or more is sweet! :cool:

So my vision plus is acting up. I see the prices have gone down on the P3 standard. I'm not into professional pictures or anything, so camera quality isn't too important. What do the others offer that the standard doesn't? Which would you get? Do they have ground station yet?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl