Going Beyond a Phantom 4 Pro

Reaction score
I love my Phantom 4 Pro+. I have only the past month begun using it regularly because the weather has has not permitted much use since my purchase several months ago. I have done aerial photography as a business for many years and I think I will be able to convert much of the previous type of work I used to do to drone, besides that fact that there are more things I can do now by drone that I couldn't do from a manned aircraft, such as take aerial photos from low altitudes of smaller facilities.

Also, I can now do "mapping" which is very interesting and an entirely new opportunity. I purchased the p4p+ not understanding I would need a different controller and an ipad for mapping, but that's ok, since I prefer using the built-in screen when doing aesthetic type photos and switching to the ipad for mapping.

Where I will still use manned aircraft is in when I need to be substantially higher than 400 feet such as when photographing very large campuses. The other advantages to a manned aircraft is that if I have multiple jobs spaced far apart, it's also my taxi to get me there and I can cover much territory that way. Also, I can use my DSLR in the manned aircraft. The image quality is of course better from the DSLR, but more importantly is that lenses can be interchanged.

But one huge advantage of using a drone is that I can take my time composing the image. I had no idea that using a drone would be like having a camera on a gigantic invisible tripod. The image in the viewfinder is so stable, even when windy.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the image from the Phantom 4 Pro. What I wish is that a different lens could be affixed for a more normal field of view. The view from the P4P is acceptable and not that distorting fish eye effect I had previously seen from other drones (which prevented me from considering a drone purchase), yet I wish I could take photos that were not so wide angled. One solution would be to take the photos from a greater distance and then crop the images, but that wastes pixels and those images will not have the same detail as a full frame image, though it would probably be acceptable for internet use.

Anyway...what would be another drone or system that would provide at least the same quality of image as the P4P in both wide angle and normal views and what would be the cost?

Inspire 1 (Or 2) with many camera options. I Have the I1 with a Z3 camera which has a 3.5 optic zoom.
Example:
This was shot from 1000 feet away and aircraft remained in same place hovering during entire shoot. Zoom is very smooth and focus sharp. Plus, it was very windy but that doesn't show in the footage.
I had the X5 camera with 4 different lenses, 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm. What I didn't like about that was having to land to change lenses. With the Z3, I have my needs met. In fact, I sold off the lenses and the X4 and got a P4P+ for use as a run-n-gun rig.

Yes, and no. The 20mp sensor gives excellent detail but as you mentioned, you are stuck with the wide angle view.
The Z3, while it has a smaller sensor can do some things that the P4P cannot. That's why I have both.
For instance, in that Carnival video, I could not get close enough to fill the frame on the P4P without endangering the people below. I never fly over people or traffic.
Yet, as you see in that video, there is plenty of detail. Especially when viewed on a large screen. I watched it on my 32" 1080p smart TV and was amazed at the details.

.what would be another drone or system that would provide at least the same quality of image as the P4P in both wide angle and normal views and what would be the cost?
There's nothing else in the same price range that would give you what you're looking for.
The P4 pro was a huge breakthrough giving much better photographic ability to small drones.
The next step up would be the DJI Inspire 2 with the X5s camera.
Inspire 2–Power Beyond Imagination & Zenmuse X5S – Micro Four Thirds Aerial Camera - DJI
That's a micro 4/3 camera and it takes interchangeable lenses so you can get the viewing angle you want.
But it comes at a price.
The drone and camera are a lot more expensive and you lose the easy portability of the Phantom
Go bigger and spend more $$ and you could look at the Matrice 600 and you can fly a full frame 35mm SLR
Or at the top of the tree you have something like this: DJI and Hasselblad Unveil World's First 100MP 'Drone Photography Platform'
Reading all that and looking at the prices makes you appreciate what a great package the P4 pro is.

Meta4,

I agree that the p4p is a fantastic value, and I understand I would have to go outside of that price range to get something better. As-is it can do a lot and I am incorporating it into my aerial photography business. But I'm still looking for that more "normal" focal length lens, but not at the expense of going a step down as far as image size and quality. Is there anything in the $5,000 to $6,000 range (including at least 2 lenses) that would allow for different focal lengths and with a sensor at least as good as that of the P4P>

Meta4,

I agree that the p4p is a fantastic value, and I understand I would have to go outside of that price range to get something better. As-is it can do a lot and I am incorporating it into my aerial photography business. But I'm still looking for that more "normal" focal length lens, but not at the expense of going a step down as far as image size and quality. Is there anything in the $5,000 to $6,000 range (including at least 2 lenses) that would allow for different focal lengths and with a sensor at least as good as that of the P4P>
You can outfit an Inspire 1 Pro X5 - micro 4/3 camera with lenses and a full kit with your budget. It sounds like that would be your best bet for what you're looking to achieve. It is a 16 MP sensor with 12.8 stops of dynamic range. You're giving a little to get the flexibility you're looking for.

Inspire 1 (Or 2) with many camera options. I Have the I1 with a Z3 camera which has a 3.5 optic zoom.
Example:
This was shot from 1000 feet away and aircraft remained in same place hovering during entire shoot. Zoom is very smooth and focus sharp. Plus, it was very windy but that doesn't show in the footage.
I had the X5 camera with 4 different lenses, 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm. What I didn't like about that was having to land to change lenses. With the Z3, I have my needs met. In fact, I sold off the lenses and the X4 and got a P4P+ for use as a run-n-gun rig.
Now that's impressive. I hadn't even considered that as an option because I've only been considering the I2 as the ultimate for my biggest bird. How long is flight time with that rig? I've heard that the camera upgrades from the stock x3 put a serious hurt on flight time. A 10-15 minute flight time with that lens just wouldn't work for me.

Now that's impressive. I hadn't even considered that as an option because I've only been considering the I2 as the ultimate for my biggest bird. How long is flight time with that rig? I've heard that the camera upgrades from the stock x3 put a serious hurt on flight time. A 10-15 minute flight time with that lens just wouldn't work for me.
It's just not really possible to get more than 12-15 minutes 'real world' when flying an I-1. For longer flight times, you have to go the route of the I-2. And that's quite the price increase to achieve it.

It's just not really possible to get more than 12-15 minutes 'real world' when flying an I-1. For longer flight times, you have to go the route of the I-2. And that's quite the price increase to achieve it.
Well ok, but maybe a battery mod for the I1 would be in order, lol. Not ideal though. I bounce between the p4p and I2 all the time and recently settled on the p4p. Then you post the z3. Thanks for that, btw lol.

Well ok, but maybe a battery mod for the I1 would be in order, lol. Not ideal though. I bounce between the p4p and I2 all the time and recently settled on the p4p. Then you post the z3. Thanks for that, btw lol.
Everything in drone photography is a compromise.
Until recently it seemed that it wasn't going to be possible to fly a camera as good as the Sony RX100 without having a bigger drone to manage the weight of the gimbal and camera - but then the P4 pro arrived.
The I1 has a single battery and short flight times that are even shorter with the heavy X5 camera.
The Z3 camera is a step backwards in image quality to what we had with the P3 series.
Zenmuse Z3 - Specs - DJI
It's just a matter of deciding what you are willing to compromise on.

Can't compromise on the camera really, but the z3 looks pretty good. But this is why ultimately I can't really consider anything less than a P4P. The camera is just too much better with great flight times to boot.

Just when I'm about to compromise, DJI puts out a new product that keeps me happy until about the next one.

Wish I could buy stock.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj