{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

Are you in the repair process (warranty acceptance) or are they arguing fault? What happened?

I have a thread on this and basically dji said "hey buy a spare bird from us without any of the components for $700 have a nice day...". My logs were on healthydrones for everyone to see before they started charging for it. Dji has my logs and video and basically the compass went crazy a mile or so out, over a half frozen lake in the middle of NOWHERE. It was calibrated recently and within two miles of the crash. Had no issues or errors prior to flight.

I have a thread on this and basically dji said "hey buy a spare bird from us without any of the components for $700 have a nice day...". My logs were on healthydrones for everyone to see before they started charging for it. Dji has my logs and video and basically the compass went crazy a mile or so out, over a half frozen lake in the middle of NOWHERE. It was calibrated recently and within two miles of the crash. Had no issues or errors prior to flight.
how recent was this?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

January? never the less they told you that? just goes to show you that they're nothing but a money hungry company and really don't care about their customers, sorry to hear that man. have you bought another bird from dji? or you thinkin bout tryin out a different company like 3DR or something like that?

January? never the less they told you that? just goes to show you that they're nothing but a money hungry company and really don't care about their customers, sorry to hear that man. have you bought another bird from dji? or you thinkin bout tryin out a different company like 3DR or something like that?

3DR are like 4000 buckeronies dude.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3DR are like 4000 buckeronies dude.

0209be3a761fc720d352855dccdbae41.jpg

Reactions: randykahl
Yeah but this isn't a "flyaway"... This is a wreck... And since you sent it in, I think they may send it back like new.

this happen to you too?

These don't have a camera, limited range, and just as many issues as DJI products. There are just less of them out there so there are fewer complaints. Almost all the professional reviews say DJI is the most reliable out there. Go to other forums and you will see the same things going on.

Reactions: peterepeat69
3DR wow... After reading their MB I have concluded that they are very problematic don't do it.

Reactions: peterepeat69
Yeh no camera, expensive

I think the 3DR was great conceptually. The production and follow through on the promises of development are lacking.

I received an email notification from Vistek about preorder of this new platform. It also does not have a factory camera equipped.
Freefly Alta 8 Octocopter Camcorder Support Systems 950-00049 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
Their blurb:
The next Big thing for elite aerial professionals. The Alta 8’s efficient 18" props, optimized propulsion system, and lightweight carbon fibre frame all add up to flight like no other drone. SYNAPSE velocity controls allow pilots to alter the vertical and ground velocities to ensure precise and repeatable camera moves. Designed to make your life as an elite aerial cinematographer easier, the Alta 8 arrives in a custom pelican case and is ready to unfold and fly.

The Alta 8’s airframe weighs only 10lb, but carries an impressive 20lb payload.
image.jpeg

So yeah, but this big boys toy, price tag will floor you, it did me. ;-)
$22,999.00

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I received an email notification from Vistek about preorder of this new platform. It also does not have a factory camera equipped.
Freefly Alta 8 Octocopter Camcorder Support Systems 950-00049 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
Their blurb:
The next Big thing for elite aerial professionals. The Alta 8’s efficient 18" props, optimized propulsion system, and lightweight carbon fibre frame all add up to flight like no other drone. SYNAPSE velocity controls allow pilots to alter the vertical and ground velocities to ensure precise and repeatable camera moves. Designed to make your life as an elite aerial cinematographer easier, the Alta 8 arrives in a custom pelican case and is ready to unfold and fly.

The Alta 8’s airframe weighs only 10lb, but carries an impressive 20lb payload.
View attachment 48709
So yeah, but this big boys toy, price tag will floor you, it did me. ;-)
$22,999.00

RedHotPoker
that thing is beast!

Why is it called the Octocopter if it only has six props? I even went to the link and they call it "onto" copter. Can't be too sure about a company that doesn't know how to name the product.:cool:

You tell me? Hahaha
Perhaps they have both 6 and 8 motor models. I am sure I saw both in the video. ;-)
According to the Specs:
POWERPLANT

Number of Motors 8
Motor Type Direct Drive 3-Phase PMAC Outrunner
Motor Make and Model Freefly F45
Motor Max Continuous Power Output 350 W
Motor Max Instantaneous Peak Power Output 950 W
Max RPM (flat rated) 6300 RPM
Equivalent Kv 384
Electronic Speed Controller Freefly Silent-Drive Sine Wave ESC
PROPELLERS

Make and Model Freefly ALTA Propeller
Material Carbon fiber with balsa core
Propeller Orientation (4) CW and (4) CCW Props
Propeller Type 18 x 6 Folding
BATTERY

Nominal Battery Voltage 6S / 22.2V
Maximum Battery Size 240 x 180 x 80 mm
Maximum Battery Quantity 2 Battery Packs (Parallel)
Minimum Battery Quantity 2 Battery Packs (Parallel)
Battery Connectors 2x EC5 (Parallel)
Required Minimum Battery Discharge Rating 250A / 500A Peak

RedHotPoker

I didn't see the 8 rotor model but I admit i didn't look too hard. It just happens to be the first thing you see when you open the link. Just seemed funny to me.

Thank you Bud. I've just read the first thread you quoted and it seems very similar. The 2nd thread I'd read prior to my issue and it was good job I did because I took the advice people suggested of switching out of F mode and in to Atti. Otherwise I'd have panicked and tried to fly it back or press the RTH which appears to not work according to the first thread.

I've uploaded the logs to a dropbox and I will PM you the link. I didn't realise they were so big, hence the delay in replying, and they may take a while to upload to dropbox. Do they contain video data?
The flight where this incident occurred is FLY032.DAT It can be obtained here
Dropbox - FLY032.DAT

This incident is not the same as has been happening in some other flights with Follow Me mode. In those flights the P3's info about tablet location changed abruptly at exactly the time FollowMe mode was initiated. The subsequent recovery from that error made it look like the tablet was moving when it was stationary. Here is an example of one of those incidents
upload_2016-3-27_17-32-52.png

In FLY032.DAT the change in tablet location is not abrupt and occurs 8 seconds after FollowMe mode was initiated.
upload_2016-3-27_17-34-16.png

FollowMe mode starts at 88 (flyCState = 25). The tablet's longitude starts changing at time 96 and settles on the new value 2 seconds later. I'm assuming this change was coincident with you walking towards the P3. The velocity of the P3 climbed gradually to about 8 M/S but then stopped climbing when you switched the RC from F to A and then P (flyCState = 1, 6) at time 101.5.

I used another program to determine the change in tablet location was about 15 meters. As you can see there was a lot of switching back and forth before settling on the new location. This would happen if the tablet's GPS had a resolution of 15 meters and the tablet was moving.

I think you're probably right that the P3 determined your direction of travel and was attempting to get behind then follow you.

AFAIK the .DAT does not contain video data.

Maybe this hobby isn't for you.
The amount of things you don't understand are able to fill at least 9 pages of posts.
I can tell by your complete lack of self resposibility that you are obviously a younger person raised to be accountable for nothing.
The way you should have approached this situation is to evaluate what YOU might have done wrong including flying anywhere near power lines and operating in a flight mode you clearly dont understand. Then retrieve your log files and include them in your FIRST post for others, that have taken the time to understand the hobby, to evaluate and help you. Instead you chose to rant and rave about DJI and how dare power lines get in your way, up to and including incinuating DJI is somehow responsible for you foolishly sticking your arm into the props (if you're going to be dumb, you better be tough).
I suggest you display your broken Phantom next to your "participation trophies" and move on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl