{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

Im mildly amazed by all the insistence on getting the .dat uploaded.

Reasonable expectation is if it is made available for analysis here (doubtful, its a trivial process to extract the .dat from the bird and plenty of help available if the op had difficulty. It seems there in no intent to make available here) it would be demonstrated that;

1. The bird managed to initiate follow from just after launch (operator initiated) and unfortunately the power lines where in the path between the mission engage point and the commanded location.

2. The operator became aware of the likiehood of the collision and seemingly madly executed a serious of perhaps approprate however ultimately pointless stick movements (the phantom was diligently executing the commission with any control inputs disregarded while in F mode) to avoid the collisiom.

3. The operator, not understandimg how to correctly perform a CSC command put themself in harms way trying to power down the phantom.

There may have been a failure of the GPS subsystem to provide correct coordinates or a variety of other software issues in play here however switching out of F mode would have almost certainly returned control to the operator and likley avoided the outcome.

Return it to DJI, they will take care of it if it is a "technology failure" as claimed.

Alternatively learn from it, pay the money to have it fixed and enjoy it.
working on the file retrieval
your 1st conclusion is not 100% accurate
your 2nd conclusion is false
your 3rd conclusion is that csc was perform but did not work.
to put it simply it was as though the RC had no affect after the fly away, also dji has my bird and RC as of today and im not paying dji a dime.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.

(1) was the p3 on the ground when you switched to Follow Me mode?

If it was then it was your fault. Case closed.

If it was on the air: what was the altitude?

If less than 50ft probably your fault too.

If altitude was more than 50ft when you switched to Follow Me mode, then let us see your DAT file.

If you don't know how to extract the file, you shouldn't be flying a DJI, and would advice you to instead get a more economical Air Hogs from Walmart/Target in the kids section.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: bobomet
wow a phantom did that to you? what happened?! you alright man?

The Phantom didn't do this...but if it scares someone into being careful it was worth posting it.
Yeah. I'm ok....several grand in medical bills later <sigh> ...couda bought a P4 with that cash! :mad:

Nice of you to ask. Thanks Romans.

The Phantom didn't do this...but if it scares someone into being careful it was worth posting it.
Yeah. I'm ok....several grand in medical bills later <sigh> ...couda bought a P4 with that cash! :mad:

Nice of you to ask. Thanks Romans.
yea be safe get better

Reactions: JKDSensei

If altitude was more than 50ft when you switched to Follow Me mode, then let us see your DAT file.

If you don't know how to extract the file, you shouldn't be flying a DJI, and would advice you to instead get a more economical Air Hogs from Walmart/Target in the kids section.

Are you capable of analysing the .dat file? Its a serious question- I'm not sure if i could (have never tried). I havent extracted a .dat file either. That doesnt mean i shouldnt be flying a phantom i wouldnt think.

I suspect your 50ft claim is irrelevant with respect to a difinitive demonstration if fault in this instance also.

Its possible (maybe likely) that the bird trashed the tablet lat/lon when it entered the follow me mode. It happened to me and the dat file proved it (with help from @BudWalker). It is possible that it was pilot error. Its also possible it was a Phantom/DJI bug. It could also be a combination. We won't KNOW until we see the DAT file. Until then EVERYTHING is just speculation. Let's not crucify the pilot (lol, it is good Friday - maybe it's not pilot but Pilate!) until we have the facts.

Do you know how tall are Transmission Lines? Cell Towers? Etc? Double check the 50ft altitude claim.

another freakin troll i sear if i read another comment about how you cannot engage from p to f mode then click follow me while on the ground I'm gonna flip cause now you're just being stupid, go kick rocks youre prolly better at that then giving advice on this thread or giving any advice on just about anything else

Its possible (maybe likely) that the bird trashed the tablet lat/lon when it entered the follow me mode. It happened to me and the dat file proved it (with help from @BudWalker). It is possible that it was pilot error. Its also possible it was a Phantom/DJI bug. It could also be a combination. We won't KNOW until we see the DAT file. Until then EVERYTHING is just speculation. Let's not crucify the pilot (lol, it is good Friday - maybe it's not pilot but Pilate!) until we have the facts.
I'm working on it

The minimum recommended altitude to engage Follow Me mode is more than 100ft. And the wouldn't clear you of Cell Towers. Dont know what exactly you were expecting when you engaged follow me mod at ground level.

Last edited:
It won't engage that low I thought.. Or the limit is 10m or something.. That's 3 storeys. Still above the wires around here.

That said.. I've chopped up a new sweater, took a chunk from my forearm and broke 2 cf props with a first time hand catch gone awry but no damage to the bird. I didn't say much about it because I was a moron catching it on the horizontal plane instead of vertical. That's exactly what I expected to happen in retrospect.

Should have a picture around here somewhere.. Looking for it.

Last edited:
yes "follow me" will NOT engage till the minimum altitude requirement is met but that's where it went crazy for me from the moment i turned it on basically

The minimum Follow Me altitude on the drone is about 30ft and assumes you are using common sense. ie No telephone lines around...

What do mean "it went crazy"?

The minimum Follow Me altitude on the drone is about 30ft and assumes you are using common sense. ie No telephone lines around...

What do mean "it went crazy"?

so a malfunctioning drone assumes you're using common sense.... think about that for a second lol or even a non malfunctioning drone assumes the pilot to have common sense, huh? hahahaha let me tell you this is the kind of thinking now a'days? no the pilot is the one with brains, we built the machines not the other way around.

Im just trying to understand exactly what the "malfunction" is. What exactly does "it went crazy" mean? Unless you have a P4, the P3 cannot see "obstacles".

766cfb1bbbac6aeb0aad4964d7645546.jpg
8e451c96483936e74f952ed9ae365043.jpg
8cfcb8099fbd1fd61d61169a0cfd21d3.jpg
a607fc1043da46d8ffde9f70508e4071.jpg
n
009d6c2196160ff38cd78b98239d09fb.jpg

i thought i had this i can't get this to go through

Members online

Forum statistics