{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

this was right before landing and then it crashed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It hit power lines. There's the cause of the issue. Not a fly away

Battery level of the controller?
Seems like if it lost connection (after hitting an assumed powered wire , grounding issues aside)
Or interference with proximity of power line may have initated at RTH?
You will get 30% off a new phantom if you send it in along with your valuable controller.
Fight and ***** long enough and they may offer 50%
Driving up the cost for everyone else.
how many times must i repeat? it flew away into power lines.

i was in "p" mode then landed and then switched to "f" mode then the copter started raise right into a power line it then flipped upside down full throttle into the ground, after i could not shut down the motors via the rc i had to grab it and pull the battery to kill it while doing so it had so much thrust as if it was on steroids it almost flew out of my hand that's how my arm got chewed up... what do you want from me? read the post.

Just to be clear, you were on the ground and switched to F mode with the motors idling, right? And then without any stick input, you're saying the craft took off by itself while in F mode?

After you flipped the switch to F mode while on the ground, do you think you may have enabled "follow me" mode while the craft was on the ground, accidentally, by touching the screen commands?

I hope you know that normally you don't flip the switch to F mode while on the ground, that's done after you're up in the air. You should launch in P mode, get in position, then switch to F mode and enable the intelligent flight command options from the screen while you're hovering. Always keep your finger near the PAF switch in case something goes wrong, ready to flip to P if the craft gets in trouble.

Do you have cellular in your IOS device? If it's a wifi only ipad, follow me won't work.

So I assume when the craft took off, it happened so quick you didn't have a chance to switch the RC to P mode or A mode, right?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you were on the ground and switched to F mode with the motors idling, right? And then without any stick input, you're saying the craft took off by itself while in F mode? So I assume this happened so quick you didn't have a chance to switch the RC to P mode or A mode, right?
first part is correct then i throttled up then it took off right after i initiated "follow me" i guess I should have been more clear on that but today being so hectic after my $800 drone crashed and everyone nitpicking at my post I'm just frustrated is all.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

first part is correct then i throttled up then it took off right after i initiated "follow me" i guess I should have been more clear on that but today being so hectic after my $800 drone crashed and everyone nitpicking at my post I'm just frustrated is all.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
It appears you initiated "follow me" without being in the air, which I think is pilot error. From my recollection you must be in the air before switching to F mode, then you can enable follow me, waypoints or POI commands. You should research that to get clarity about using Follow Me mode. I think you're going to find pilot error being the cause.

If you need repairs, I had guy in Northern California repair my P3P. I thought mine was totaled when I crashed in January. He replaced the body shell, 4 motors, 4props, landing gear, gimbal bracket, battery tray and a gimbal cable, all for $300. He had all the parts, I had it back in a week. Looked like a new bird when I got it. Flies great. He works from his home, so his overhead is low. Others quoted me $475 to 510. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobomet and Numone
No idea why you decided to enter a follow mission from the ground however it wouldnt have engaged anyway (assuming you were flying from the GO app). You have to be at a minimum altitude with enough available satelites on the bird and your tablet/phone before it will start anyway.

You either flew straight into the power lines or there is a problem with your phantom which DJI should be able to ascertain from your .dat file.

Lucky you only have a few scratches. Hope your back in the air soon...

Power lines seem to be your issue never ever put your phantom into follow me unless it's at the right elevation ie above power lines, sorry but your title "follow me is garbage" is actually my "pilot flying is garbage" CSC would have saved your arm.

I don't know how to post a link using the iOS app but look for my post "Follow me erratic behaviour ". You might have had the same glitch I had. You need to get the DAT file off the bird.

Power lines seem to be your issue never ever put your phantom into follow me unless it's at the right elevation ie above power lines, sorry but your title "follow me is garbage" is actually my "pilot flying is garbage" CSC would have saved your arm.

go kick rocks you weren't there you didn't see the scenario take place.

Well NASA technology should never fail right? Are you sending your telemetry data in for us to see?

Reactions: konidair
Well NASA technology should never fail right? Are you sending your telemetry data in for us to see?

From what we know about P3P issues good chance we have operator error however the .dat file may just make a donkey out of that theory.

From what we know about P3P issues good chance we have operator error however the .dat file may just make a donkey out of that theory.

Well I'm inquisitive, I'm in the market to buy an advanced model, spending time here before I do is a wonderful education.

Having your arms chopped up by a quad is by definition 'operator error'.

Reactions: SteveAikens

You have read the comments of pilots that seem to have more experience than you, inasmuch that you cannot go into "F" mode with the aircraft on the ground, haven't you, because you appear to be ignoring them? Unfortunately, this is what you stated you tried to do? Whilst one searches for external reasons why one has made an expensive or painful error in life (both in your case, I'm sorry to say) it honestly does appear that in your case, this is what's happened = pilot error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erroll
No offence, but this thread is getting better than Ralph's...
MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

Reactions: randykahl
No one is attacking you, just trying to help. If you send it in, DJI will see all the stuff we're taking about. That's all.

Ok, the .DAT files on the aircraft will have recorded all the sensor information, The logs will contain sufficient information to enable the sleuths on here to be able to determine exactly what happened.

If you don't know how to retrieve the .DAT files from the phantom, ask. If you do, post the logs up on here and a number of experienced guys will try to analyse the data to ascertain exactly what happened.

I have done some detective work in the past, but I'm very new to the analysis game. But I'd be happy to try to help.

I use FOLLOW ME a lot, and have had no problems. I do scout out my flight path first, and give myself at least 20 meters of "cushion" clearance above the highest obstacles.
This was pilot error dude. Accept it!

Reactions: konidair
I assume for follow me to work well, your tablet/phone needs a good GPS signal.
I guess you're sat in that suv in the Facebook footage you posted.
After reading some of the posts on flyaway and erratic behaviour during follow me mode, i would be very worried about the reliability of the GPS signal to your device whilst inside the moving vehicle.
I hope you work out what happened so we can all learn from it.
I know that when I try it again, I will be ready to switch out of f mode at the slightest sign it's not doing what it should.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj