Go pro recording start/stop

Reaction score
I moving from a Vision to P2 with GoPro. The vision had an app to allow start stop recording of video and still captures. Does the GoPro have an app to do this or do you have to start the video prior to flying?

negative you can NOT start/stop a gopro during flight. Hopefully you're aware of the frequency differences between the Vision and non-Vision models?

basically a NON-Vision Phantom2's RC operates on similar frequencies as wifi.. so if you run the wifi on your gopro during flight, you run the risk of the gopro wifi signal overwhelming your RC's signal and you lose control.

You can of course use the wifi on the ground to change settings, but always turn it off before flight.

For that reason indeed, you have to just press the record button when you take off, record the whole flight and then press stop when you get back.

The good news is super large memory cards are SO cheap. I run 2 16GB cards and swap between them and even just on 1 card I can usually record something like 10 to 12 full battery runs before I fill up a card.. which never happens because I just clean my cards off, move the files off to laptop/external drive every few flights

Away Point said:
What QYV said, plus I've found the 10 second time lapse mode works well for stills.

indeed - I do this sometimes as well. just out it in timelapse mode and yes 10 seconds seems to be my favorite... 5 is too short and 30 is too long.

if you run in this mode, don't be surprised when the FPV feed "blinks" black for a second while the camera is taking the shot - this is normal.

I used to take a pic every 5sec, but recently I have just been taking video in 1080p med 60fps and then taking stills out in the gopro studio. Might try 2.7k to see if it makes a diff. I like having one video and not 200 pics per flight.

when I ran in pics only mode, the images were indeed much better than I could pull off screen caps from videos, no matter what the resolution.

I know what you mean about sorting through lots of pics but it isn't so bad
*shrug* to each his own

While I shoot more video than stills, I do often fly and shoot stills. Some gopros can do both at the same time, and what you end up with depends on how the camera is set, 5 to 7 megapixel.

It's true the FPV screen does goes momentarily blank during a still shot on the GoPro. At first I didn't like this flying blind for a moment, but you soon realize that's how you know when you took a picture and when you didn't.

You can pull two megapixel stills out of 1080, and four megapixel stills out of 2.7k. I do this all the time. I love the way you can import the videos into Aperture, and then thumb through the video and create a stills from the video, and the stills created inherent the appropriate creation time and meta-data. Creating stills from video without this kind of structure makes it a real nuisance to try and keep them all sorted together and organized.

Away Point said:
While I shoot more video than stills, I do often fly and shoot stills. Some gopros can do both at the same time, and what you end up with depends on how the camera is set, 5 to 7 megapixel.

It's true the FPV screen does goes momentarily blank during a still shot on the GoPro. At first I didn't like this flying blind for a moment, but you soon realize that's how you know when you took a picture and when you didn't.

You can pull two megapixel stills out of 1080, and four megapixel stills out of 2.7k. I do this all the time. I love the way you can import the videos into Aperture, and then thumb through the video and create a stills from the video, and the stills created inherent the appropriate creation time and meta-data. Creating stills from video without this kind of structure makes it a real nuisance to try and keep them all sorted together and organized.

So pulling pics off video is pretty poor? Only 2-4 MP? But the go pro here black can shoot 12mp is still mode. If I am looking for stills I am better off just taking stills then? I had a pic blown up that I took from video and it looked pretty good. Bit blurry in one spot.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/Shortestbuss/JuniperBeach6.jpg

JuniperBeach6.jpg

Beautiful shot!

If stills are your priority, absolutely no doubt shooting stills is better. Of course, one flight for stills, and another for video, covers all the bases. :)

As I recall, the Hero 3+ Blk can shoot 1080 and simultaneously shoot 7 mp stills in Wide FOV (5mp in Medium, or something like that). That's an option too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4