Go Pro Hero 4 Silver freezes between 22 - 30 seconds

MiP

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my h3 3d gimbal and the Go Pro Hero 4 silver camera - when the Go Pro is connected to the Phantom 2 via the USB port 20 - 30 seconds after take off the Go Pro freezes and stops recording whilst in flight. I have tried the following:

1) My Go Pro and all latest Phantom firmware updates have been applied.
2) I'm using a class 10 approved by Go Pro memory card.
3) I can't replicate the issue when the motors are not running but the Phantom is powered on.
4) I also don't seem to be able to replicate the issue when the motors are running without the props attached (for indoor testing).

As soon as I remove the USB cable from the camera, I can record video perfectly when flying. This is frustrating issue because I really want to upgrade the phantom to do some FPV via a black pearl monitor.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil.

Inspect ribbon cable.
Did you install the flex cable upside down? The long end is to the usb and the short end to the gimbal board.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I've check the ribbon cables inside the Phantom (in and out of the anti interference board) these all look fine - I have disconnected these and reseated them). The ribbon cable from the gimbal to the USB connector for the Go Pro was already installed when the H3 3D gimbal arrived, I did attached the ribbon cable to the USB board the direction it was attached on followed the orientation of the cable.

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

try isolating the issue by disabling the charge via the flex cable.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19936

Another option would be to try and run the gopro without battery. I know it works on the 4 blacks but not sure on the 4 silvers (I own a 3+BE).

I really think you either have faulty USB port or a faulty Flex cable. The H33d is supplied with a spare flex cable. They are pretty easy to change.

Mip:
I had similar issues with my GoPro4 Silver and a H3 3D gimbal and have never gotten it work correctly using the USB cable for power or video out. . With the cable unplugged it records fine but like you wanted to send video to the GCU- IOSDII as mine is mounted on a F550. I have repeatably asked on several forms for DJI to to define its support for a GoPro 4 Silver on either H3 3D or even H4 3D. All I can find is they omit specifying support for the Silver in the H4 3d doc.

I had similar freezing issues with my GoPro 4 Silver. In the end it was the SD card. Class 10 isn't enough. You need a Class 10 card that can record at least at 80MB/s, preferably faster.

Thanks - I can record fine when the Go Pro is not connected to the Phantom gimbal via USB so I assume it wouldn't be the SD Card speed in that case? I had a new video output cable and USB connector delivered today so I'm hoping to fit that within the next couple of days and try that.

I just got my Phantom with the Zenmuse h3-3d. I am having the same exact issue. A few seconds into flight, the hero 4 silver stops recording / loose connection to my FPV. The camera also seems to be "locked" by the what just happened, and I have to hold down the power button for a long time to get it to shut off. When it turns back on, it is fine.

I got the camera to work once / on one flight, but that has been it. I originally thought it was a power up / hit record sequence type of issue, but I can't make rhyme or reason of anything. As for disc, I'm using a Sandisc extreme plus 32gb. I will try a faster disc when I get one, and report back... but I would love to get this resolved ASAP.

I figured out my issue, and thought I would share what I found. It is not the disc read / write speed... When my Gopro hero 4 Silver is set to 1440p, and plugged into the gimbal (via mini USB) / Black Pearl FPV, after about 20 seconds of recording, the camera locks up. This even happens when the power is off on the gimbal / phantom!

I would love to hear if anyone else can film on 1440p on a hero 4 silver, the Zenmuse gimbal, and the Black Pearl FPV.

dcamara said:
I figured out my issue, and thought I would share what I found. It is not the disc read / write speed... When my Gopro hero 4 Silver is set to 1440p, and plugged into the gimbal (via mini USB) / Black Pearl FPV, after about 20 seconds of recording, the camera locks up. This even happens when the power is off on the gimbal / phantom!

I would love to hear if anyone else can film on 1440p on a hero 4 silver, the Zenmuse gimbal, and the Black Pearl FPV.

so basically what you are saying is it has nothing to do with your phantom at all then if the power is off on the gimbal and the go pro is still locking up..

WHAT SD CARD is in your go pro.. post here id like to research it

Hi, did anyone fixed this problem? I'm having the same issue with my Hero 4 Silver, but it works perfectly with a Hero 4 Black of a friend (both with the same recommended sd card). I'm going to try with another Hero 4 Silver to check if the camera is the problem.

I also had the same problem with my GoPro Hero 4 Black, it freezes every single time. I emailed GoPro support and they replaced it with a new one. The replaced one doesn't have any problem.

I also had the same problem with my GoPro Hero 4 Black, it freezes every single time. I emailed GoPro support and they replaced it with a new one. The replaced one doesn't have any problem.

Good info! Was your Hero4 Black freezing even when not connected to the gimbal? I just got a 4 black and it has been a total turd so far. I am up to date on all software and I still can't video back to my monitor. I can see IOSD info but no video...and then the gopro freezes when I hit record. Seems to work 99% of the time when not connected to the H3-3D V 1.1
Let me know if you have any new info! Thanks!

Good info! Was your Hero4 Black freezing even when not connected to the gimbal? I just got a 4 black and it has been a total turd so far. I am up to date on all software and I still can't video back to my monitor. I can see IOSD info but no video...and then the gopro freezes when I hit record. Seems to work 99% of the time when not connected to the H3-3D V 1.1
Let me know if you have any new info! Thanks!

I had similar problems with my hero4 silver. But the weirdest thing is that only did it when hooked up to the H3-3d, AND ONLY when the camera was set to 1440p (at any FPS). It works fine on every other camera setting, just not 1440p

I had similar problems with my hero4 silver. But the weirdest thing is that only did it when hooked up to the H3-3d, AND ONLY when the camera was set to 1440p (at any FPS). It works fine on every other camera setting, just not 1440p

Interesting...I have mine set to 1080 + still photo every 5 seconds at 30fps. I have tried other settings and have yet to get video through the phantom. I think the issue is with the hero 4 and not the gimbal. My hero 3 black works like a charm.

I can confirm this issue. The GoPro records without problems on every other setting than 1440 when connected to the FVP USB cable. As soon as I switch to 1440 is stops recording after 10 to 25 seconds. So.. having the GoPro being able to record stand alone at 1440... what would be the issue... the gimbal FVP.. or the GoPro?

Sad I can't use the 1440 now as it's perfect to crop out the props while editing...

And today the freeze happened at 06:07 on 1080/60 Wide mode... what the hell is going on?

Ok, I have now detached the gimbal USB connector from it's cable so I have only the USB connection head. I've tried by plugging in the USB connector into the GoPro (so at this point no more connection to the gimbal) and it also freezes ! Seems like either faulty USB Video Output Module (the usb connector) or the USB port from the GoPro. Howover, filming with the GoPro USB cable plugged in doesn't make the GoPro freeze

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20