Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Go pro Gimbal with Vision Camera

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Erroneous007, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Erroneous007

I am aware of the upcoming Rotopixel gimbal, but I was curious if anyone has tried to use something like this below (Gopro gimbal for the Vision), but mount a vision camera to it instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261379734205?lpid=82

What would be the issues with that? Balance or clearance?

2. DKDarkness

The major issue is clearance. The "wings" or "ears" of the FC200 get in the way, because a gimbal )unlike the servo solution implemented by DJI) requires the camera to be in near perfect balance. The rotational axis (X and Y) mean the jack (which lead is too short for a 2-axis gimbal) and the wings are very close to either the mount or the ground.

- But I am working on it ;-)

3. Erroneous007

Cool, I will be interested to see if you can get it to work. I'm still waiting for the antenna connector wires to do the antenna mod. But i may try to do something with a gimbal next if I can't get a Rotopixel anytime soon. I will flying out at an area on Concord, Ca in March and it's usually windy there which will make video difficult except very early unless I can get some type of better gimbal..

4. DKDarkness

This is as far as I am right now. In the process of R&D (trial and ERROR) I fried the video link to the FC200, so no test videos just yet... NEVER for a split second short the poles on the FC200 jack.
    The major issue is to make a solid base for the FC200, creating a model and have it 3D printed may be the best option.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzBuNXiP15c

5. teji

Yes exactly ! Why not create a 3D printed FC200 camera holder and a dedicated well balanced rear arm ?
    With the common motor & controllers available, we will get a good & low cost gimbal for P2V...

Something like this (but for FC200) :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380848477751

6. Erroneous007

A printed holder sounds good. I have done a lot pf photography, but this is my first time to use a quad an I have never seen a gimbal other than on the internet. I may buy a cheap one just to learn how they work and see if I can figure out a way to attach as well. And thanks for the advice about not shorting the poled on the jack!

7. Stealthdude

Any chance you could share the info how you done this (wiring etc) please. I have a gopro gimball but don't have any wiring info for it. It has a 3 pin connector for pitch, one for roll, and another which I assume is power. Although I have no idea what would go where from the p2v.

8. Jabula

You have certainly sparked a lot of interest in this T&E project you have begun. I am also very interested in your results. Your pain and suffering caused by the E part of the equation is appreciated and applauded by us more "technically challenged" folk.
    We salute you!

9. AllanVB

http://www.taco-rc.com/servlet/the-30/3 ... unt/Detail

10. teji

Hello !
    Well, let's go to own gimbal...
    Taco Toy gimbal is 249$ ! same for phantom 1 is 106$ ... why... difference is just fc200 holder.... 3d printed...
    just because "everybody want it actually, let's take 150€ more" !!!
    NO, NO, NO.
    Let's try by myself.
    But result will be OPEN TO THE WORLD.
    If it finally work, design will be open & free to all.
    DIY can print & do it. maybye low-cost pre-assembled version for ready-out-of-the-box guys.
    If some poeple want to participate with me, you can contact via MP.
    You can send pictures, ideas, yout tests, experiences, references with gimbals controllers boards...
    Lets's make a real group work, for the community benefit.
    start, start, start...

11. Stealthdude

Just looked at the eBay listing for the gimbal you used and it does look exactly the same (apart from colour) as the one I have. I'd really appreciate some info on how you have achieved this.

12. DKDarkness

I am finishing my design and testing the flight and WIFI capabilities (if the weather permits), this weekend. I will keep you posted on the progress.

13. teji

The own - and - FREE for everybody design has started.

Wanna a Vision Gimbal for 150$ ? .... I hope it's possible in a week, or two.

Just waiting exact size & measures about motors to adjust others parts.
    Modeling Camera Holder today.

I ordered 3 controllers
    -1 good AlexMos
    -1 open free design
    -1 low cost from china
    When i receive it, i can test difference on real hardware.

Go go go !!!!

Attached Files:

14. teji

And now, the first proto version...
    Camera holder V 0.1
    Some corrections to do, but not so bad for a first version....

Wait for motors ....

What's your opinion ?

Attached Files:

15. AllanVB

great... however its hard to see the pics...
    My thought was to use the holes in the bracket at the top of the camera as a holder. Ordered parts, will post when complete. Great job so far... I want a 3 axis!! :D