Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Go Pro 4 - Timelapse mode FPV stops working

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by haidozo, Nov 6, 2014.

1. haidozo

Hi There,

I have recently started using the Go Pro 4 Black on a H3-3D. I have a Boscam transmitter set up which works fine for video ( (4K is amazing ). When i set the camera to shoot stills and use timelapse mode at 2s as soon as i start recording i loose the FPV video feed on my monitor. I still have the telemetry but no video feed. Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. TomasBKK

I just tried timelapse with FPV using Gopro 4 silver and here's what I found out. Every time the camera takes a photo the screen goes black for about 0.5 seconds so at 2 seconds I still get FPV but every 2 seconds i get black screen. The shorter the time lapse interval the more black screen i get. Try setting your interval to 10 seconds and see if you're getting similar result as me.

3. Jaybee

Yep, this is normal behaviour. The GoPro can only send a constant live video signal -and- take still images if you use the 'Video + Photo' setting. Using that mode limits you to min 5 sec intervals and results in degraded still image quality, i.e, not as good as the regular image or time-lapse modes. This is down to all the processing the GoPro has to deal with.

4. haidozo

Thanks so much for the replies - yes got it 2 secs does not work. Easy. 10 secs works fine. Cheers

5. kiax

Hi i really need the 2sec option. In 10sec works great, but in 2 sec, no.

I have other HERO4 black and whit the Gopro LCD screen i can see between picture and picture in 2sec... the problem is the USB port? Nobody have an old gimbal Zenmuse 3D3H to try?

6. QYV

QYV

the problem isn't the gimbal, it's simply how the gopro operates. When it snaps a still picture, it has to stop outputting the live video... period. Doesn't matter if it's outputting to the USB port, rear port, wifi, whatever. In Timelapse (or photo+video) mode, every time it snaps a still picture the video will blank.
    So if you use 5 or 10 seconds, FPV is still useable because you only lose about a half-to-full second every 5 or 10.
    but losing .5-1 second out of every 2 indeed would make FPV flying almost unuseable.

7. kiax

Hi! yes I understand this whit the Hero 3+ I use in 2sec and I can work good, I understand the snap, this isn't my problem.

The problem is the Hero 4 don't show anything... only a black screen. Only work if you put 10sec. The HERO 3+ black and silver show you whats happen after every picture you take (and have the snap, and you see again) I make a test and the Hero 4 Black and whit the LCD screen you can see between shoot and shoot. https://vimeo.com/115878586

Why by the USB port don't work I don't know, but maybe for the back port yes work. Sorry my bad English I spoke Spanish =P

8. kiax

In the video https://vimeo.com/115878586/ I use a Gopro Hero 4 black whit the LCD screen. I configure the camera to take a picture every 2sec and work great!

Nobody have an old gimbal to see whats happen whit the hero 4 black?

9. QYV

QYV

ohhh I think I understand. I have a Hero 4 black so I will try also. Are you in Video+Photo mode, or timelapse mode? I'll do some tests this evening with my FPV I always just happen to use 10sec for stills when I'm in video+photo mode. I haven't used Timelapse on my Phantom (only on the ground for fun)

10. kiax

Great thanks!

I use only the timelapse option in 2sec.

Thaaanks!