Go Mavic or not?

Reaction score
I am new to the whole drone thing, having acquired my first drone - a Phantom 4 - about five weeks ago. Since then I've been clueing up avidly on the Mavic. A truly impressive machine indeed. Well worthy of the moniker 'magic Mavic'. But am I tempted to swap my P4 for a Mavic? Most definitely not. I believe the Mavic's photo and video quality to be every bit as good as the P4... the initial bad publicity concerning soft footage, I feel sure, arose from early tests and demo flights where the Mavic's camera had not been pre-focused. I have since seen pin-sharp Mavic video clips posted on-line.

The Mavic's Active Tracking enhancements and terrain-following facility I feel sure will appear sooner or later (hopefully sooner) on the P4 by way of a firmware upgrade and, if necessary, an update to the DJI GO app. The Mavic appears to be endowed with very similar hardware to the P4, so it's entirely feasible that the new features will read across. The narrower field of view of the Mavic's lens suits some users more than others. But the P4 when shooting in modes less than 4K, e.g. 2.7K, has pixels going spare on the sensor, so a zoom-in can be achieved by 'unpinching' the fingers on the screen without loss of image quality. Thus P4 users can have the best of both worlds. The Mavic's advantage by way of propeller freedom in images shot during fast sport-mode flight can largely be overcome on the P4 by tilting the camera down a little such that the horizon falls higher up the frame. I wouldn't normally be shooting 'proper' video in sport mode anyway.

And lastly, I love my full-sized iPad Air as an FPV monitor.

Long live the Phantom 4.

Tony..

Last edited:
Reactions: r62ewa and John1960
I'll throw in my thoughts. Haven't been on phantom pilots forums in a while so i'm not sure of the general feeling about this, but personally i'm thinking seriously about selling my phantom while I can get a premium and grab the Mavic.

Now, I have a P3P, but I bought one after P4 was released this Spring for a bargain.

I've got a backpack to carry the Phantom in, and when i'm heading somewhere to fly it, its no big deal and is great. But bottom line is that there are many times i'm not bringing it with me because of the inconvenience of its size. So I miss aerial opportunities while on vacation or even just a road trip somewhere.

If I could just throw a Mavic in my normal backpack (not a massive drone backpack), I'd take it almost everywhere. Now, all that with a camera that is debatably as good as the P3/P4? I'm in!

No disrespect to anyone if they disagree. The Phantom was and is a masterpiece.

I live North, so i'm thinking use my drone through the rest of Fall, sell it for as much as possible, and grab any sale I can find on Mavic over winter (if I can find one).

Josh

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If portability is an important component of one's drone needs than the Mavic is definitely worth considering...at least looks like it might be once it gets wrung out in the hands of the drone-flying public and the bugs and kinks worked out of this totally new hardware configuration. It appears that nothing about the Mavic uses any already-proven drone components. That would be my consideration if I already owned a P4. I'd wait. I think the Mavic is a very cool idea, and if it had anything really important over the P4 other than just size, then I'd be looking at the Mavic. More likely, the Mavic 2.

Drones are messing a lot with people, but since mavic appears, the world seems to went nuts. :)

I am new to the whole drone thing, having acquired my first drone - a Phantom 4 ....... The Mavic appears to be endowed with very similar hardware to the P4, so it's entirely feasible that the new features will read across.

I believe the Mavic has 24 processors (what the H is that all about?) and the Phantom 4 doesn't. I doubt if you'll see a lot of Mavic features appear in P4 through a firmware upgrade. However I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they can find their way into my Phantom 4 and Phantom 3P. I'm not holding my breath.

It's nice the the Go app has similarities between Inspire, Phantom and Mavic, but each craft has it's own unique version that is automatically selected when connected to the controller and craft. Each individual version offers different features that are dependent on the hardware configuration of the craft.

Last edited:
I am new to the whole drone thing, having acquired my first drone - a Phantom 4 - about five weeks ago. Since then I've been clueing up avidly on the Mavic. A truly impressive machine indeed. Well worthy of the moniker 'magic Mavic'. But am I tempted to swap my P4 for a Mavic? Most definitely not. I believe the Mavic's photo and video quality to be every bit as good as the P4... the initial bad publicity concerning soft footage, I feel sure, arose from early tests and demo flights where the Mavic's camera had not been pre-focused. I have since seen pin-sharp Mavic video clips posted on-line.

The Mavic's Active Tracking enhancements and terrain-following facility I feel sure will appear sooner or later (hopefully sooner) on the P4 by way of a firmware upgrade and, if necessary, an update to the DJI GO app. The Mavic appears to be endowed with very similar hardware to the P4, so it's entirely feasible that the new features will read across. The narrower field of view of the Mavic's lens suits some users more than others. But the P4 when shooting in modes less than 4K, e.g. 2.7K, has pixels going spare on the sensor, so a zoom-in can be achieved by 'unpinching' the fingers on the screen without loss of image quality. Thus P4 users can have the best of both worlds. The Mavic's advantage by way of propeller freedom in images shot during fast sport-mode flight can largely be overcome on the P4 by tilting the camera down a little such that the horizon falls higher up the frame. I wouldn't normally be shooting 'proper' video in sport mode anyway.

And lastly, I love my full-sized iPad Air as an FPV monitor.

Long live the Phantom 4.

Tony..
I agree especially with the last one. I like to fly with my 9.7 iPad Pro. To me that's the big difference.

Have no mistake, I'll own a Mavic but I am not giving up my P4 by any stretch.

Reactions: John1960

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20