Go Home behavior after cancelling Go Home...

Look at the HD data - battery temp was 70 degrees at start, over 100F at the end. If anything, it got too warm.
I saw that, but I have to wonder a what location on the battery that registers and how the unit will respond to sudden changes in temp. I think another possibility is at that altitude the motors were spinning so fast to keep lift that the battery couldn't supply enough power. If he find his bird and we can get the .DAT file it will help a lot to figure out what happened.

Look at the HD data - battery temp was 70 degrees at start, over 100F at the end. If anything, it got too warm.

Are you sure? Some battery expert guy posted a thread here maybe 3-4 weeks ago... listing all the things we should do for our batteries, and said 100 F is the premium temp for running our battery. Just don't touch 140 F because it could burst. <shrug>

Reactions: dirtybum
34.689996° 112.180658° would be a good starting point IMO. Appears to be about a 26% grade over about a mile.

What's the deal with 98 ft RTH?

It was close to 7000 feet altitude..........

The battery was possibly struggling(increased use due to thin air) and the calcs to get home were based on that. Density Altitude has killed many pilots and damaged numerous a/c.

How do you know the RTH was set at 98'? It probably was, as I failed to update it before or during this flight that followed terrain so much higher than takeoff. Could it be that the craft was in RTH mode and tried to descend to 98'? I thought it would RTH at its current altitude or at the one set in RTH settings, whichever is higher...

My understanding is the P2 generation will RTH at whatever height it is if it's higher than the set RTH height. But the P3 will immediately drop down to RTH height. Could somebody confirm?

34.689996° 112.180658° would be a good starting point IMO. Appears to be about a 26% grade over about a mile.

What's the deal with 98 ft RTH?

It was close to 7000 feet altitude..........

The battery was possibly struggling(increased use due to thin air) and the calcs to get home were based on that. Density Altitude has killed many pilots and damaged numerous a/c.
I agree with the most likely location, since at that point it was falling at about 10'/sec. My thinking, like some others' is that it was auto landing. There is a possibility that during the flurry of activity near the end of the flight (losing connection, wanting to go home, my cancellation and trying to squeeze out one last shot, etc.) that I inadvertently reset the "home" location to it's current location, instead of where I took off. Is that a possibility?

My understanding is the P2 generation will RTH at whatever height it is if it's higher than the set RTH height. But the P3 will immediately drop down to RTH height. Could somebody confirm?

No, I think you are incorrect. If the P3 is higher than the RTH height it will stay at that altitude until it reaches the RTH point.

Reactions: dirtybum
Success! I took a second P3 up and photographed the site, and there it was, exactly where we predicted. Luckily, it seems to have landed in a low bush instead of a rock, so it is probably in fair shape, as long as the motors didn't try to keep running and melt the shell (which can happen, believe me!). Now the hike - up 2500' vertically and 7000 feet laterally.
0033-1.JPG

Great justification for buying a second drone.

"Yeah, but honey, I needed it for search and rescue operations in case I lose my first drone..."

I'm sure it'll go over just fine...

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Great justification for buying a second drone.

"Yeah, but honey, I needed it for search and rescue operations in case I lose my first drone..."

I'm sure it'll go over just fine...
It worked for me!

If you cancel a battery Failsafe RTH request & then experience a loss of contact event, how the aircraft behaves will depend on whether you lost video or control. If only video but controller contact is still there, it will just hover until it reaches the low battery auto-land point. If you lose control signal the aircraft should initiate a loss of control RTH & behave according to your RTH settings (RTH, hover, land).

If something like this were to happen I would suggest turning off the remote just to make sure the Phantom no longer has control signal & heads home.

Not that anyone is stupid enough to do this (except me), but if my P3A tells me it is about to go home because of low battery, and I cancel the request, then lose contact with the aircraft, what will it's behavior be? Will it just hover until it exhausts its battery? Fall from the sky? Try to go home? In my case, I wanted just one more photo before I allowed it to come home, and just then lost contact, due to trees in the foreground. The bird was some distance away and I'm trying to figure out where it is. The Healthy Drones .csv and .kml show it descending rapidly (10'/sec) immediately before it stopped recording at about 120' above the ground.

Reactions: DaGunn
If you cancel a battery Failsafe RTH request & then experience a loss of contact event, how the aircraft behaves will depend on whether you lost video or control. If only video but controller contact is still there, it will just hover until it reaches the low battery auto-land point. If you lose control signal the aircraft should initiate a loss of control RTH & behave according to your RTH settings (RTH, hover, land).

If something like this were to happen I would suggest turning off the remote just to make sure the Phantom no longer has control signal & heads home.

If you lose video conection cant you still control your bird ?. If so fly back with the radar just make sure you gain plenty of height and maybe video signal will reconnect..

That is true if you still have telemetry & you can still fly back with the radar view. That isn't always the case though &, in such a hectic situation where time is of the essence, allowing the aircraft to RTH on its own might prove more expedient.

If you lose video conection cant you still control your bird ?. If so fly back with the radar just make sure you gain plenty of height and maybe video signal will reconnect..

And, the corollary to this is: If you cancel a loss of control (LOC) RTH after re-gaining control and decide to fly off, if you lose LOC again it will not RTH. I don't know what it does after that, and this may all be firmware dependent.

With my Vision+ I have often flown to the point of no control, had RTH engage, cancelled & took back over controls, then flew out again to loss of control, & it again returned.

And, the corollary to this is: If you cancel a loss of control (LOC) RTH after re-gaining control and decide to fly off, if you lose LOC again it will not RTH. I don't know what it does after that, and this may all be firmware dependent.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic