Go App Airspace correct?

Reaction score
I checked the sectionals and I knew that the class D airspace started at 1500 feet. Yet when I started up I got the typical warning letting me know I was in class D on the Go App.

My question is does the Go App know the floor of the airspace you are in or does it just go from the ground up?

I checked the sectionals and I knew that the class D airspace started at 1500 feet. Yet when I started up I got the typical warning letting me know I was in class D on the Go App.

My question is does the Go App know the floor of the airspace you are in or does it just go from the ground up?
Class D always starts at the surface and goes up from there. Inside class D on the sectional chart, you'll see a 2 digit number inside a broken square. This is the number of hundreds of feet that the class D airspace stops at, so if the number inside the square is 25, the class D airspace is from the surface to 2500 feet MSL... Class B and C have tiers, class D is a cylinder.

I believe (and I may be wrong) that DJI Go/Go4 restrict flight within 5 miles of any class B, C, or D airport (regardless of the radius of the surface airspace) and will give warnings if you're within 5 miles of class E airspace. I believe warnings will also be issued if within a <5 mile distance of heliport and seaplane bases.

Class D always starts at the surface and goes up from there. Inside class D on the sectional chart, you'll see a 2 digit number inside a broken square. This is the number of hundreds of feet that the class D airspace stops at, so if the number inside the square is 25, the class D airspace is from the surface to 2500 feet MSL... Class B and C have tiers, class D is a cylinder.

I believe (and I may be wrong) that DJI Go/Go4 restrict flight within 5 miles of any class B, C, or D airport (regardless of the radius of the surface airspace) and will give warnings if you're within 5 miles of class E airspace. I believe warnings will also be issued if within a <5 mile distance of heliport and seaplane bases.

I think that is how it is supposed to work, although it seems to have some inconsistencies. For example, I'm within 5 miles of a non-towered airport that has 700 ft Class E but no surface Class E, and one heliport. I don't get any warnings.

You know what. You're right about the class D. My mistake. I forgot that. What about the class C or Class B airspaces that have have tiered floors and ceilings. Is the Go App smart enough to know that?
Instead of using the Go apps, I'd recommend you have a sectional chart saved as a favorite on your tablet/phone browser. Take some time and learn how to read it, and verify for yourself before you fly. The two that I use are VFRmaps.com and SkyVector.com...

Instead of using the Go apps, I'd recommend you have a sectional chart saved as a favorite on your tablet/phone browser. Take some time and learn how to read it, and verify for yourself before you fly. The two that I use are VFRmaps.com and SkyVector.com...

You didn't read the original post. I verified with the sectionals as well as ForeFlight. I use Skyvector regularly and it made no mention of class D airspace where I was going to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan