Glying above water/sea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had a few flights since purchasing my P3A and slowly building my confidence and going further and exploring slowly.

I will be going out with family to a seaside and would want to take it over the sea/water and take some nice videos and pics.

What are the precautions I have to take in order to take my P3A out to sea?

Is there anything I should switch on or off before heading out to above water?

Is there a safe altitude I should keep?

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Hate using my phone at times....end up getting the thread name wrong...meant 'flying' not 'glying' LoL

Is that all I need to switch off, the VPS?

Also I have this week, shall I practise more on atti mode as well as a precaution?

I frequently fly my P3 over a lake with no changes. Always works fine. GPS is GPS. I'd be curious why some people think ATTI is better. The VPS isn't relevant at altitude, but it's easy to turn off (can't remember the exact screen now).

Last edited:
I don't disable it but wouldn't trust VPS over water.

I've hovered over lakes ponds and the ocean to about 18" from surface, with a visual on the bird. Never done low passes over water without it being LoS.

Also when the mist starts hitting the camera you're way too low.

The VPS works from 30cm to 3m. I would switch it off if you plan to fly at that height over water. FYI The manual says to operate with great caution when flying with VPS over water.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have had a few flights since purchasing my P3A and slowly building my confidence and going further and exploring slowly.

I will be going out with family to a seaside and would want to take it over the sea/water and take some nice videos and pics.

What are the precautions I have to take in order to take my P3A out to sea?

Is there anything I should switch on or off before heading out to above water?

Is there a safe altitude I should keep?

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Just follow your checklist and all should be fine. The posts re: VPS are true on the P3 at this firmware level. Know the wind direction, and how it will either assist or decay your flight time. Don't fly over people. Have fun! Post videos upon your return.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Just follow your checklist and all should be fine. The posts re: VPS are true on the P3 at this firmware level. Know the wind direction, and how it will either assist or decay your flight time. Don't fly over people. Have fun! Post videos upon your return.

I sure will.

Thank you ;)

I fly a lot over water and never disabled vps.
Just don't get to low and beware of the waves and splashing water.

Reactions: Buckaye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1