Glitches

RPP

Reaction score
Website
www.parrikar.com
I was in Iceland and experienced a couple of glitches while flying the P4P.

One morning on a farm - wide open space, no signal interference, minimal wind - I took off in P mode with Home Point recorded, GPS locked. Compass had been calibrated a day or two earlier. Soon after launch it lost GPS and began drifting away in ATTI mode. I initiated RTH and it wouldn't respond. I was about to bring it down on a patch of grass around 150 metres away when it locked on again to GPS and started the RTH sequence. I canceled RTH, brought it down and recalibrated the compass. No problems thereafter.

The other glitch was, on two occasions my photos got recorded as JPEGS when I had the settings on RAW (DNG). I did not consciously make the switch - not as far as I can tell. I have programmed both the buttons at the bottom of my controller to bring up the camera settings menu, but you have to tap the tabs on the screen to make the change. Unless I inadvertently changed the settings while flying I don't see how the switch came about. Anyone else with this experience? I wish the app had a lock.

Soon after launch it lost GPS and began drifting away in ATTI mode. I initiated RTH and it wouldn't respond.
Return to Home is useless without GPS.
I've not experienced any of the issues you describe.

I'm on the P4Pro Plus, BTW. Not sure if that makes any difference in this case. Good luck with yours.

Did you take the photos while being in video mode? While recording video you can only shoot jpg.

Ah, that may be it! I stop video to take stills but in these instances I may not have (unintended).

Reactions: MaxHam
The other glitch was, on two occasions my photos got recorded as JPEGS when I had the settings on RAW (DNG). I did not consciously make the switch - not as far as I can tell. I have programmed both the buttons at the bottom of my controller to bring up the camera settings menu, but you have to tap the tabs on the screen to make the change. Unless I inadvertently changed the settings while flying I don't see how the switch came about. Anyone else with this experience? I wish the app had a lock.

Happens all the time. Use the shutter button on the RC while the app is in video mode (even if not actively taking video) and about 50% of the time you'll get jpegs with the setting then permanently switched to jpeg. Just another example of DJI's awesome coding people.

Happens all the time. Use the shutter button on the RC while the app is in video mode (even if not actively taking video) and about 50% of the time you'll get jpegs with the setting then permanently switched to jpeg. Just another example of DJI's awesome coding people.

Too bad. In normal course, I use the controller buttons to stop/start video and switch between stills. But sometimes there are other elements to deal with - it was cold - and I had to slip in and out of gloves. So must have slipped on stopping the video. Fortunately, only one session was affected.

DJI needs to fix this.

Too bad. In normal course, I use the controller buttons to stop/start video and switch between stills. But sometimes there are other elements to deal with - it was cold - and I had to slip in and out of gloves. So must have slipped on stopping the video. Fortunately, only one session was affected.

DJI needs to fix this.

They sure do because I space out and have it happen to me all the time, or like you said, glove issues in the cold. It's very annoying.

"Use the shutter button on the RC while the app is in video mode (even if not actively taking video) and about 50% of the time you'll get jpegs with the setting then permanently switched to jpeg"

That's not how it works on my system, P4P/iOS.
If I'm in video mode but not recording video, once I use the shutter button on the RC the screen automatically switches to photo mode. And it always gives me the files which I chose as output - JPG/RAW etc.
This setting never changes by itself.

What some of us - like myself - sometimes forget is that upon a firmware upgrade certain settings are back to default.
I'm forcing me now to check all settings after an update.

"Use the shutter button on the RC while the app is in video mode (even if not actively taking video) and about 50% of the time you'll get jpegs with the setting then permanently switched to jpeg"

That's not how it works on my system, P4P/iOS.
If I'm in video mode but not recording video, once I use the shutter button on the RC the screen automatically switches to photo mode. And it always gives me the files which I chose as output - JPG/RAW etc.
This setting never changes by itself.

Doesn't do that on Android. It stays in video mode and gives you jpegs half the time and stays in RAW the other times.

Does DJI take feedback seriously? The more I think about the snafu the more it bothers me. I shouldn't have to live with JPEGS when I had the settings pegged for RAW.

GPS is spottier when you get to very northerly or southerly latitudes due to less sat coverage so it is possible that the GPS coverage was not good. Did you notice how many sats were in view -- you can check the log file.

Brian

GPS is spottier when you get to very northerly or southerly latitudes due to less sat coverage so it is possible that the GPS coverage was not good. Did you notice how many sats were in view -- you can check the log file.
Brian

Quite sure I had more than 10.

I wonder if the bug of the photo setting of slipping into JPEG mode from RAW when in video mode has been fixed in the latest firmware update. I did a brief test today and it seemed to hold on to RAW.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20