Glitch in video 4k H265

Reaction score
I wish to know if anyone else have experienced this problem?

I got this card SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card - Standard Packaging: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories 64GB
I have recorded hours of video with this card with no issues prior to this.
Today i recorded 4x4gb files, which two of them contains this random glitching.
First thought is the memory card, but before jumping to conclusion, i would like to hear from others that might have experienced the same. I know of one already, but im curious if there are others, if this is only a 265 issue, or 264 as well.
Second thought is bad card slot or other hardware related issues in the camera.

A short clip with a live view of the issue can be download here Dropbox - p4ph265.mp4

(the entire flight was performed according to VLOS rules, in case someone is tempted to comment on that)

Skjermbilde 2017-01-26 kl. 20.53.58.png
Skjermbilde 2017-01-26 kl. 20.53.55.png

Last edited:
Did you try formatting the card using the DJI GO 4 app? I've seen odd issues that can happen with fragmenting etc when you don't "empty" the file by formatting within the app specifically.

I wish to know if anyone else have experienced this problem

I had the same glitch (only one for now) into a footage of 15 minutes recorded last week. It's the first one, and match with my first fly with the new firmware. Settings H265, 4k, Sandisk Extreme 64GB, formatted with GO4.

I don't know if it's the SD card, firmware, H265, but it's the first time that I see a 1 second glitch (missing frames I think, thats why we see jumps and distort) in a 15 min footage, and these was my first fly with these SD+new firmware.

It's not a P4P hardware fail for sure, but I don't know if it's the SD card compatibility that made a random glitch, or it's a bug in the last firmware. I read in RCF that some guys have random glitches in H265 with a confirmation that it's the firmware. I will go back to the original SD and be aware if I see a new random glitch.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: gr8pics
I use the sandisk extreme pro exclusively with no issues. 32 and 64 gig variants.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Compare the contacts on the back of the Lexar x1800 card to a Sandisk...

I'm curious what would happen at this time in your video if you were to transcode the clip into something else. Sometimes I think issues like this, even when they occur every time the clip is played, are not actually baked into the footage but a result of difficult encoding that a transcoding process can push through since it's not attempting to operate in real time.

I attempted to download your clip and try it but it seems it has been removed. I'd like to experiment if you want to repost it.

I'm curious what would happen at this time in your video if you were to transcode the clip into something else. Sometimes I think issues like this, even when they occur every time the clip is played, are not actually baked into the footage but a result of difficult encoding that a transcoding process can push through since it's not attempting to operate in real time.

I attempted to download your clip and try it but it seems it has been removed. I'd like to experiment if you want to repost it.
My footage in H265 had the same glitch (only one in 15 minutes) and I was transcoded to H264. In the H265 footage, the glitch looks like the screenshot of first post, and looks like a missing frame in the H264 transcoded version. This was the first fly with the new firm and a Sandisk Extreme 64GB.
I will do more test when the weather help me...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

I have not noticed this but I've done maybe 3 H.265 recordings on the P4P. On a side note, has anyone noticed any quality differences between recording H.265 and H.264? H.265 should be able to pack more data in a smaller space but from what I've seen so far with the P4P, I haven't noticed any discernable differences in image quality. Could be H.265 is just saving you a little space but not much else.

I have not noticed this but I've done maybe 3 H.265 recordings on the P4P. On a side note, has anyone noticed any quality differences between recording H.265 and H.264? H.265 should be able to pack more data in a smaller space but from what I've seen so far with the P4P, I haven't noticed any discernable differences in image quality. Could be H.265 is just saving you a little space but not much else.
I have switched fully now to h265 -1 / 0 / 0 as it seems you gain a little more detail at least for the i frames compared to h264. The difference is definitely not large.

It struck my mind, and i already tested that before posting, converting with two different apps, also played back org file on VLC, it occurs the exact same way and same place every time.
Also i remember now, noticing the glitch on the tablet during flight a couple of times, and it was only 200ft away.
Maybe a card reader problem here, bad connection that causes the card to loose contact now and then in certain areas of vibration frequencies, i dont know, it could be many things, but i dont think the card is the problem, at least not in terms of performance, cause they are way within the limits.

Ive done some side by side tests, flicking back and forth between the two files that where recorded on the ground to be able to see every detail, i cant see any difference at all, but i suspect these tiny differences will only be visible during very demanding scenes like fast panning, fast moving objects in the edge of the frame, banding in the sky etc, but havent had time to go that deep.
We can only "trust" its better by theory, and use h265 to achieve the marginally better quality from a already compressed file...

Im starting to think this has nothing to do with memory cards at all, it doesnt make sense, if this camera only have 1-2 approved cards out of 10, then DJI need to make a list of tested cards that are proven to work, but i suspect this is just another hardware problem added to the list for P4P.
Weve seen the issue, card failed, as if it was broken, but after formatting on computer and then back in craft, the card was okay again.

I think its simply cause this is cheap electronics, and this time, im afraid, a tad TOO cheap.

Business is like that, manufacture products as cheap as possible with highest possible profit, and since they put "more" money into this one with a new and better camera, i think their goal was to achieve even higher profit than with the P4, covered up with higher price and better camera, perfect and a clever sales pitch.
The bigger and "better" sensor might be better in terms of picture quality, but hardware quality, im afraid they chose the lowest of the lowest bidder with the lowest quality this time, it is not the same sensor Sony uses in their RX100 series, only the same standard/type.
I know people get offended when i say this, but Chinese products are always the same, assembled with parts from the lowest bidder, thats how business are these days, this time they might have crossed the line of choosing too cheap components.

Just think of it like this, you are going to manufacture and sell a product, your goal is to make as much money per unit as possible, of course, therefore you pick the cheapest components you can find, without sacrificing the quality, theres where the crossing line between good and poor products goes, is it worth choosing the cheapest component to earn 10 cents more, or step up to next level and earn 10 cents less?
Ok, so you save a bunch of money in production, but loses 5 times more in the other end due to returns, replacements and repairs, like they do now.
My gut feeling tells me Dji gambled to much this time, and failed, also due to limited time of testing the product properly before hitting the market.
Thats my theory, from earlier personal experience with production lines...

Its very simple, if Dji offered two versions of P4P, the current one, and one with even better camera an electronics that cost 100$ more, which one do you think would sell most? At least i know i wouldn hesitate for a second, i dont think even the amateur photographer would either.
Dji need to learn that most of their Phantom customers today wants better camera and picture quality over any other fancy feature, and to be able to do that, they might need to change the fuselage size to fit the bigger electronics, but maybe we will see that in P5, eventually, cause there havent really been any game changing stuff in this model since V1, not even the sensor system, its just old and simple technology in fancy wrapping, with allot of limits, trust me, IR sensors, proximity sensors, echo sensors, it has existed for decades. Just look at the manual, a whole page with limitations where the system is not recommended using, and they still advertise it as "big groundbreaking" features :)

I get that this isnt a pro tool, even if it can be used like it, but at least i would expect it to be reliable when bringing it to work, if not, this is only a advanced overpriced toy, i mean, there is no redundancy to avoid glitching in video like this, cause we dont know what the actual source of problem is, only that it happens randomly, or when the card fails and needs to be reformated on a computer, so when can we bring it to work then, if this happens in the middle of a award winning scene and ruins everything?

Buy a 10k drone instead some may say, thats okay, but i still think we should expect more from a 2000$ drone cause it isnt exactly cheap.
When it works, its great, but when it doesnt, its useless, unless youre just using it for Sunday hikes and fun.
This time for me, it was for fun, but when standing waiting for 25 mins to get something cool, gets ruined by these "small" issues then wheres the fun then?

This is what i managed to make out of it, after numerous cutouts.
My initial plan was to have one continuous scene to work with.
Also the machine is not as stable as my old P3P was, but im not gonna go down that road now ;)

It shows in scenes with motion such as a river, or tracking a vehicle, etc.

It struck my mind, and i already tested that before posting, converting with two different apps, also played back org file on VLC, it occurs the exact same way and same place every time.
Also i remember now, noticing the glitch on the tablet during flight a couple of times, and it was only 200ft away.
Maybe a card reader problem here, bad connection that causes the card to loose contact now and then in certain areas of vibration frequencies, i dont know, it could be many things, but i dont think the card is the problem, at least not in terms of performance, cause they are way within the limits.

Ive done some side by side tests, flicking back and forth between the two files that where recorded on the ground to be able to see every detail, i cant see any difference at all, but i suspect these tiny differences will only be visible during very demanding scenes like fast panning, fast moving objects in the edge of the frame, banding in the sky etc, but havent had time to go that deep.
We can only "trust" its better by theory, and use h265 to achieve the marginally better quality from a already compressed file...

Im starting to think this has nothing to do with memory cards at all, it doesnt make sense, if this camera only have 1-2 approved cards out of 10, then DJI need to make a list of tested cards that are proven to work, but i suspect this is just another hardware problem added to the list for P4P.
Weve seen the issue, card failed, as if it was broken, but after formatting on computer and then back in craft, the card was okay again.

I think its simply cause this is cheap electronics, and this time, im afraid, a tad TOO cheap.

Business is like that, manufacture products as cheap as possible with highest possible profit, and since they put "more" money into this one with a new and better camera, i think their goal was to achieve even higher profit than with the P4, covered up with higher price and better camera, perfect and a clever sales pitch.
The bigger and "better" sensor might be better in terms of picture quality, but hardware quality, im afraid they chose the lowest of the lowest bidder with the lowest quality this time, it is not the same sensor Sony uses in their RX100 series, only the same standard/type.
I know people get offended when i say this, but Chinese products are always the same, assembled with parts from the lowest bidder, thats how business are these days, this time they might have crossed the line of choosing too cheap components.

Just think of it like this, you are going to manufacture and sell a product, your goal is to make as much money per unit as possible, of course, therefore you pick the cheapest components you can find, without sacrificing the quality, theres where the crossing line between good and poor products goes, is it worth choosing the cheapest component to earn 10 cents more, or step up to next level and earn 10 cents less?
Ok, so you save a bunch of money in production, but loses 5 times more in the other end due to returns, replacements and repairs, like they do now.
My gut feeling tells me Dji gambled to much this time, and failed, also due to limited time of testing the product properly before hitting the market.
Thats my theory, from earlier personal experience with production lines...

Its very simple, if Dji offered two versions of P4P, the current one, and one with even better camera an electronics that cost 100$ more, which one do you think would sell most? At least i know i wouldn hesitate for a second, i dont think even the amateur photographer would either.
Dji need to learn that most of their Phantom customers today wants better camera and picture quality over any other fancy feature, and to be able to do that, they might need to change the fuselage size to fit the bigger electronics, but maybe we will see that in P5, eventually, cause there havent really been any game changing stuff in this model since V1, not even the sensor system, its just old and simple technology in fancy wrapping, with allot of limits, trust me, IR sensors, proximity sensors, echo sensors, it has existed for decades. Just look at the manual, a whole page with limitations where the system is not recommended using, and they still advertise it as "big groundbreaking" features :)

I get that this isnt a pro tool, even if it can be used like it, but at least i would expect it to be reliable when bringing it to work, if not, this is only a advanced overpriced toy, i mean, there is no redundancy to avoid glitching in video like this, cause we dont know what the actual source of problem is, only that it happens randomly, or when the card fails and needs to be reformated on a computer, so when can we bring it to work then, if this happens in the middle of a award winning scene and ruins everything?

Buy a 10k drone instead some may say, thats okay, but i still think we should expect more from a 2000$ drone cause it isnt exactly cheap.
When it works, its great, but when it doesnt, its useless, unless youre just using it for Sunday hikes and fun.
This time for me, it was for fun, but when standing waiting for 25 mins to get something cool, gets ruined by these "small" issues then wheres the fun then?

This is what i managed to make out of it, after numerous cutouts.
My initial plan was to have one continuous scene to work with.
Also the machine is not as stable as my old P3P was, but im not gonna go down that road now ;)

There is an issue with your camera/drone if you tried everything and it still occurs. Had hours and hours of recorded P4P footage in H265 on my drone and never had this problem. Cheap hardware or not, yours is not working correctly and should be sent back to DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl