Glare and clarity issues

Reaction score
I am not a photographer and barely into drone flying. I shot a video (link below) where the clouded sun was facing the camera lens at about 15 seconds in. The subject of this video (a train locomotive) was then dark and lower clarity than I felt it should be. Should I get a lens filter to prevent this? My editing software is basic crap that can't change anything.

Video (15 seconds in is the problem)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Drone DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

Editing software Microsoft Movie Maker (I prefer not to buy new editing software)

The auto exposure is darkening the video because of the bright sky behind it. You have two options:
1. Use manual exposure settings
2. Point the camera downward more to exclude most of the sky (composition-wise, you RARELY want the horizon in the center anyway (Google "rule of thirds")).

Try more camera positions. Ground level then rising, moving with the train. Filters would help, also shoot in D log. It does not matter if you make mistakes. I tend to experiment. The great thing about Phantoms is you can move with the subject.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I am not a photographer and barely into drone flying. I shot a video (link below) where the clouded sun was facing the camera lens at about 15 seconds in. The subject of this video (a train locomotive) was then dark and lower clarity than I felt it should be. Should I get a lens filter to prevent this? My editing software is basic crap that can't change anything.

Speaking as an experienced photographer, there's only so much you can do when you're facing into the sun. That's the makings of a silhouette. Aiming the camera down more and manually adjusting the exposure will help, but in the end the train is still backlit. You're better off shooting with the sun behind the camera or to the side.

If you're ever interested in trying more advanced editing software, try the free version of DaVinci Resolve. It has more exposure and color adjustment capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan