Give me a break

Reaction score
Took my phantom out for a quick flight today. I live on the outskirts of the city and have flown unbothered from my own yard for several days. Today was different. Within two minutes of takeoff three people has congregated, all local neighbors. I don't want them to be concerned so I landed so I could talk. Wasn't a minute before the word POLICE came out of each of their mouths, separately. Not as in, "I'm calling the police", but "isn't that what the police use to spy on people?" I explained that it was made to fit a gopro and showed them that there was no camera attached. Has anybody else run into this and what is your reply to them?

most of my neighbors think it's a really cool toy, even with the gopro attached to it. let them know that the camera that we are able to use on this thing can not zoom in to spy on anyone. if they have doubt, show them a clip of what the gopro can see. also mention that the flight time is only around 10 min and not really enough to be spying on anyone. I have an lcd backpack handy so if anyone asks, i can just show them. most people who are worried about their privacy has their fears hyped up by the media who have blown this whole privacy thing out of proportion.

I had a local news station do a segment that inflated such fears when they posed the AR-drone 2.0 as a spying craft. they considered being able to look over the fence of a neighbor as spying. if i wanted to look over into my neighbor's back yard, it would be so much cheaper to use a ladder not to mention infinitely more clear than what the AR was showing. they also posed a hypothetical question of someone controlling the AR and flying up to your window and looking in or going into your house. really? with the noise that these crafts make, one must be deaf not to hear it (i have double pained windows and very good insulation and i can still hear the phantom buzzing outside). also for the AR, it's controlled by "wifi" so good lord knows that if there is any kind of barrier (walls and fences) the craft's range becomes so small it's practically unusable for that purpose.

Basically it is up to us to educate people on the truth about these crafts since we can not rely on the media. personally, I am more worried about the safety issues with people taking their crafts too high or into a high traffic area posing risks to commercial flights with real people in them.

auck said:
if i wanted to look over into my neighbor's back yard, it would be so much cheaper to use a ladder not to mention infinitely more clear than what the AR was showing.

An AR Drone? ha. I think the word drone strikes fear into people. I told them that if I wanted to spy on somebody, I'd have just as much luck with a Sherman tank, explained the flight time thing to them too. Next week I'm going to let a few of my neighbors fly it around if they want. But yes, really, ...the way things are today, people are already being spied on and with technology that's much more sophisticated than the Phantom. We really need to have an outreach strategy for FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie