Gimble problem

Reaction score
I have an issue with the gimble. Upon startup of the aircraft gimble gears make a noise like a birrrrrrrrrr sound and creates a vibration at the same time. This causes video to vibrate. If I turn aircraft on it makes the noise repeatedly, but if I flip it on any of its sides the noise and vibration stop. If I turn the aircraft upside down the noise and vibration are reduced, but still there. If I adjust the gimble to turn the angle of the camera down the noise stops. Yesterday, when I flew the aircraft the camera was facing down, when I turned the camera angle up, the camera stayed down, I gently pushed the camera as I dialed the camera up and the camera moved. I am thinking a pulley or gear is lose and if I take the back plate of the gimble off, I may be able to see the problem and fix it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Normally the noise comes when gimbal is unable to reach the set position.

There are no gears or pulleys to set, all movements are controlled by motors.

Hmmm. So you are thinking, upon start up, the gimbal motor raises the camera to the up position, and on my phantom, is somehow being obstructed, causing to motor to make noise and vibrate? Any ideas on a fix?

I turn on the aircraft and remote control. It makes the noise only in the up position. Fail a little down and it's fine. I am going to see if there is an adjustment in the menu for the gimbal that could help.

sounds like a bad pitch motor. There may be dirt in it. In any case it needs repair. You can buy a pitch motor at Fstop. I think about $40.
Was it ever damaged by a rough landing? If so, check for a bent roll arm

Reactions: Jeff watson
@ ted4797. Yes, 2 days ago I was landing and the wind kicked the AC backwards. The props hit the ground and it turned upside down.

When you turn it on and it is idle for a few, monitor the temp by touching the motors. They should remain cool when not moving. If it is heating up then the motor is having to work too hard to maintain position. Not normal... Also, do you have any resistance when moving it in all direction at power off. Resistance could explain the noise you hear, i.e. Motor working harder than designed to.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, if you are still interested, I will tell you how I fixed it

Check the set screw/grub on the yaw arm. Small black screw connected to the shaft. Take a 1.5mm Allen key and check if it's tight. I had issues with mine over tightened from the factory, gimbal didn't enjoy it. Make sure you have the screw on the flat of the shaft.

I sent an email to DJI with a video of the problem and they said to re-install the latest firmware and calibrate gimbal and IMU. I did this and still had the noise and vibration. After seeing Scotty88's response about the set screw in the yaw arm, I noticed I could stop the noise by pushing on the back of the gimbal. I turned the machine on and off and noticed the gimbal warm up and mechanical movements. Then I turned the aircraft on and found a simple way to stop the noise. I put a paperboard shim in between th yaw arm and the housing for the gimbal motherboard. All vibration stops and the gimbal does not make noise or heat up. My theory is, due to a bad landing the yaw arm became lose or bent causing the gimbal motor to go into short spasms trying to adjust the camera.

BV Skyone had some good thoughts too. If the shim solved your problem, leave the aircraft on for a few minutes and make sure the motors on gimbal are not hot.

Reactions: Traveler
97ba544aaea30965c016cbee9cb04d8c.jpg

Flew aircraft for 45 minutes yesterday. Good video, no vibration, gimbal did not get hot. Shim works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20