Gimble lock

Reaction score
What type of damage is incurred by powering up
The phantom with the gimble lock still in place? Not
Flying but simply powering up the bird.

I would advise against that, you could break the gimble very easily that way. Was reading about a guy who broke his gimble this way before even flying it once.

If you have done this, is your gimble shaking and going all over the place and not settling?

Yes I have done it on accident of course. There's
No shaking or anything.The camera seems to
Float or point down till I use the app to adjust
Pitch of the camera. Is that normal?

I dont believe it does immediate damage to the camera as the software will tell you to remove the lock if you leave it on. I believe the gimble can detect that the camera cant move. The pointing down on an angle is normal til you adjust the camera up for flying.

I do think this can effect the levelness of the camera - when you turn on the bird with the lock in place, the camera tries to right and balance itself, but cannot. So i think that axis point in the gimbal ends up shifting creating a tilt to your horizon and shifting the D-plate off axis. I'd try to always remember do not turn on with lock in place!

Freeskier is right. That has happened to my camera already - now I have 1.5 degree tilt on my horizons - this doesn't seem fixable, other than in post with frame rotation of the video. I think I accidentally left the gimbal lock on 2-3 times when powering up the unit- that could be all it takes to mess up the alignment.

beachvision said:
I dont believe it does immediate damage to the camera as the software will tell you to remove the lock if you leave it on. I believe the gimble can detect that the camera cant move. The pointing down on an angle is normal til you adjust the camera up for flying.
I think gimbal damage can occur pretty quickly, though. I made that mistake once, just from turning on the battery to use the Phantom 2 Assistant. I could hear a faint buzzing sound; it was the gimbal trying to move against the gimbal lock. When I finally figured out what I had done and removed the gimbal lock, the motors were pretty warm. Just because the Phantom senses a gimbal obstruction doesn't mean that it will stop trying to move the gimbal.

Get one of those "remove before flight" tags and attach it the to gimbal lock as a blatant reminder. But don't take those works too literally. You need to remove the gimbal lock every time before powering up the battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20