Gimbals?

Mick Emmett said:
It's OK Dave; I was just winding you up :) I would still like to know if there are any differences between the none vision and the vision versions apart from the frequency difference that would make it difficult for me to simply fit a Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro Gimbal and gopro camera in place of the std DJI gimbal camera combo should the original become damaged, i.e. are all the connections and mounting points there to do this on the vision version, I can't see them using a different casing but I can perhaps see them having different electrical connections maybe? On a completely different note, I installed the vision app on my Samsung phone with no problems, I then thought it might be nice to have it working on a 7" screen but when I went to install it on my Samsung Tablet it came back and said the app wasn't compatible with my device it's for phones, my tablet has WIFI and links up with my home WIFI all right so does anyone know what the problem is and why it will only work with phones? the app doesn't seem on the face of it to require any of the additional functionality that a phone would provide.

That I don't get. I have not used the Vision app but have used the Lightbridge app (from DJI) and it works on both my Samsung S5 phone and Tab S 8.5 tablet. Not sure what a phone can provide in the equation.

There is a guy with a video on the web controlling his vision plus with a tablet and saying that when he went to download the app he got the same message as I did, he then goes on to say there is a work around to get the app to download to the tablet; but frustratingly he never says what the work around is Grrrrrr!!! :roll:

Got it sussed now, it was all to do with the blocking mode on the tablet, you have to tell it to allow apps form other sites and not just the app store. I'm still not quite sure why it said it's just a phone app when it blocked it as it's now installed and working fine on my tablet. Batteries now in so I can test out the app and camera, still no props on yet, I'm still reading up and watching the on-line videos; it's also still blowing a gale outside so no rush to get airborne at the moment. (I'm just a coward really) Thanks for the help so far.

Hi Mick and welcome to this excellent hobby and I hope you really enjoy yourself with your new Vision+ I went the way of the Phantom 2 Vision as I wanted everything to work straight out of the box (other than charging batteries and reading up everything I could find on the subject.) My next purchase will hopefully will be the Rotorpixel gimbal for the Vision when I can raise enough funds. Real life always gets in the way ;) I'm satisfied with the pictures and video I get from the Vision camera, which I understand is the same as you get from the Vision+ and it's certainly good enough for my needs. You will have some excellent things to video and snap up there in Yorkshire, especially on those beautiful moors. All we need now is some good calm weather! Good luck. :)

Mick Emmett said:
It's OK Dave; I was just winding you up :) I would still like to know if there are any differences between the none vision and the vision versions apart from the frequency difference that would make it difficult for me to simply fit a Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro Gimbal and gopro camera in place of the std DJI gimbal camera combo should the original become damaged, i.e. are all the connections and mounting points there to do this on the vision version, I can't see them using a different casing but I can perhaps see them having different electrical connections maybe? On a completely different note, I installed the vision app on my Samsung phone with no problems, I then thought it might be nice to have it working on a 7" screen but when I went to install it on my Samsung Tablet it came back and said the app wasn't compatible with my device it's for phones, my tablet has WIFI and links up with my home WIFI all right so does anyone know what the problem is and why it will only work with phones? the app doesn't seem on the face of it to require any of the additional functionality that a phone would provide.

have a search for the problem , possibly on google, there is a download somewhere on the web of a version of the vision app that will go onto a tablet, I have it on a 7 inch galaxy tab. you have to set some security setting on the tablet to allow the install of stuff it can't verify or get a certificate for or some such crap. it works ok, but because of the poor resolution of the FPV aspect the image is a bit blurry at maximum res, and almost pixelated at the lower res. to get the best/most stable blurry image I have mine set to 15fps.

re the wifi again, I wasn't saying don't get a 2.4ghz control phantom, just pointing out an issue that has hit the forums a few times. if you never crash you will be happy with the V+, but trash the camera/gimbal and it is generally a very expensive fix. going the seperates route with a 2.4ghz control phantom gives ( would have given ) more salvage options of parts. I think you'd have to be really unlucky to kill a gopro in its plastic box just by having a bit of a crash, the phantom setup is up there with crystal baubles from a crash proof point of view.

Tablet problems all sorted out thanks locoworks as you say it was all down to it's security settings, and yes; the std vision plus setup does look as if it will be easily damaged in a hard landing. That's why I asked the question of compatibility between the two editions, who would have thought they operated on different frequencies? so I am now wondering what other differences there could be that might interfere with me sticking on another manufacturers gimbal and using the Gopro if the original Vision Plus set up becomes unusable.

Mick Emmett said:
Tablet problems all sorted out thanks locoworks as you say it was all down to it's security settings, and yes; the std vision plus setup does look as if it will be easily damaged in a hard landing. That's why I asked the question of compatibility between the two editions, who would have thought they operated on different frequencies? so I am now wondering what other differences there could be that might interfere with me sticking on another manufacturers gimbal and using the Gopro if the original Vision Plus set up becomes unusable.

that's the trick, you have control on 2.4 and FPV on 5ghz or vice versa to keep things simple. I would imagine that if you binned the camera and gimbal you could swap out the receiver for a 2.4ghz one. I have seen a vid on youtube of someone swapping receivers for a futaba one but not sure if the phantom started out on 2.4 or 5ghz or if it had a camera setup at all. I'm still hoping for the day that futaba and the likes start doing 5 ghz modules and receivers so you can use a better tranny with the phantom vision series, their 'new' tranny still doesn't give all the rate settings an average tranny would and the fast yaw issue when filming video still remains at a guess.

Mick Emmett said:
I haven't got a Phantom yet, trying to make my mind up as to which model to go for. I already own a Gopro 4 Black edition so I was thinking of going for the Phantom2 ver3 with the Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro Gimbal, whats the down side of not going for the vision plus? Will all the gimbal controls on the transmitter work with with either gimbal or are some dedicated to DJI's own stuff. Will the Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro Gimbal work with the DJI phone app and is there any control over the Gopro from the app; changing from video to single shots etc? Any ups or downs to going for either system over the other? I know one will be a cheaper option as I have the camera already and it would be nice to shoot in 4K but that is only part of the equation.
EDIT: And there's also the added cost of buying a WiFi extender and the two holding brackets but the gopro option would still work out a little cheaper than the vision plus option.
The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse is a great option for mounting a GoPro that you already own. Works well, you can use your camera for other things, but you lose some benefits...no FPV, no telemetry, no control of the camera (can't start/stop video, can't manually take stills).

You can add FPV and telemetry to the Phantom 2/Zenmuse for a few hundred USD, and then you'll have a good camera with 4k and a more robust gimbal, but you still can't control the camera (you can control the gimbal tilt, you can't start/stop video or take stills). You can use the GoPro's own wifi/remote...if you feel lucky... but it's on the same frequency as your control, not to mention the fact that you'd only get maybe 100 feet of range (if that). Generally, the cost of upgrading is pretty close to the extra cost of a Vision Plus, but then you have to add the cost of the GoPro on top.

The Vision Plus is ready to go right out of the box. The big downside is that the camera doesn't quite match GoPro image quality, and the gimbal is a little more fragile and harder/more expensive to repair. On the positive side of the Vision+, I really appreciate the ability to start and stop recording right from my FPV/telemetry screen. I have GoPros and find them to be great cameras, but I also find the DJI Vision+ camera's image quality to be more than acceptable for my hobbyist purposes. I haven't needed them yet, but I do proactively have a KillerRC gimbal guard on mine, as well as a carbon-fiber gimbal saver from UAV Bits.

8316295.jpg

Some of the reviews on the app store page indicate that some people have problems getting the Vision app to work with the iPhone 6. Others on this forum have reported no problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj