Gimbal won't point up...normal?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I noticed today that my gimbal doesn't point up. I can use the dial to point straight down, and then I can bring it back to level (pointing straight outward), but it doesn't tilt up. Is this normal? Today was the first day I've filmed something above the drone, so I can't remember if this is normal or if it's a malfunction.

Could it possibly just be a setting issue? I already did a gimbal calibration. Also, I use PolarPro PL filters that sometimes cause gimbal overload errors while I'm adjusting the polarization, but then go away. Could I have damaged the gimbal by adjusting the filter while the drone is on and the gimbal active?

Under settings > gimbal settings > advanced settings, make sure the upwards gimbal tilt is checked.

cdf1b8b581192155a034be3eb8f7e242.jpg

Reactions: DJI-Polar
Edited: I offered extremely valuable but extremely incorrect information, hence I deleted the post that previously appeared here. My apologies for such an egregious error on my part. I guess my Wizard status is no longer valid. I shall now go and cry myself to sleep, swamped in boundless shame. Probably the only thing that could possibly save me from the clutches of my deplorable state would be if someone would kindly offer to buy me a Mavic Pro or a P4P+ or a Lamborghini Testarossa (hint, hint).

Last edited:
It's normal. It only tilts upward (by up to 30°) if it's needed to keep the camera level when flying forward. Also, it'll only do this if the box is checked (post #2). In other words, if hovering or sitting on the flat ground, you cannot make the camera tilt upward beyond level. It only occurs (and automatically at that) when flying forward.

You seem to be suffering from CRS syndrome, a malady that also strikes me, usually at the most inopportune or embarrassing moment. (In case you need clarification or have never heard the term, CRS means "Can't Remember S**t". )
I don't think this is correct. I have mine enabled on both my Mavic and my my P4P+, and it allows the extra upward tilt any time I roll the wheel. Flying or landed.

I don't think this is correct. I have mine enabled on both my Mavic and my my P4P+, and it allows the extra upward tilt any time I roll the wheel. Flying or landed.
I am correct because I'm always correct. I don't make mistakes. I am perfect in every way. Just ask my wife (no, don't. Skip that.). How DARE you question the Great Oz!

Ha. Sorry. I watched the Wizard of Oz last night. Seriously speaking, you may be right on the Mavic and P4P+. I don't know. I just know that on my P3S it won't tilt above level manually even if it's enabled.

Again-sorry for the tirade above. I was in movie mode. :)

Reactions: Techcop50
I am correct because I'm always correct. I don't make mistakes. I am perfect in every way. Just ask my wife (no, don't. Skip that.). How DARE you question the Great Oz!

Ha. Sorry. I watched the Wizard of Oz last night. Seriously speaking, you may be right on the Mavic and P4P+. I don't know. I just know that on my P3S it won't tilt above level manually even if it's enabled.

Again-sorry for the tirade above. I was in movie mode. :)
something is wrong with your P3S if it won't tilt the camera up 30 degrees using the dial wheel when enabled in the app , works any time anywhere for me including sitting on the table .

Reactions: Techcop50
something is wrong with your P3S if it won't tilt the camera up 30 degrees using the dial wheel when enabled in the app , works any time anywhere for me including sitting on the table .
I'll check mine again tonight. I never have a need to manually raise it up 30°. Maybe I've turned it off in the settings or it turned off after an update. I'll report back if I don't forget. Now, if I can just get this d**n water heater pilot to stay lit, I'll prove to myself that I'm always right!:)

I didn't forget. You are correct. Somehow it got turned off. I edited my erroneous post (post #3).

Last edited:
I've got the exact same problem. My guess is it's the new firmware.

Under settings > gimbal settings > advanced settings, make sure the upwards gimbal tilt is checked.

Thank you!!! That was the issue! It's strange because I've always been able to tilt the gimbal upwards, so my guess is that the latest firmware update reset this setting.

I actually figured out my ribbon cable was getting in the way. It is now fixed.

I know this is an old thread but I just got my P3S and the sand thing happened to my gimbal today; the PolarPro does something while in flight, because it's starts out bring able to tilt up, but after some time it won't tilt up. I'm disappointed because the image is light years better with the ND filter on. I checked the settings, the 30 limit is turned on. When I land it and take the ND off, restart it, its fine again. I really thought I broke it. Glad I found this thread.

I wanted to update this by saying I flew just now and the gimbal tilt worked with the ND4 the whole time...it's 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, not sure if that affects it or not.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie