Gimbal Vibration after Modification

Reaction score
I have the older version of the Phantom 2; without the cutout in the bottom to give the 3D clearance.
Instead of paying $30 for the adapter part, I just cut a clean hole where the top the gimbal needs clearance.
The 3D now does not rub on the bottom of the drone; however it now shakes like crazy. Originally when I did this I had the black cushions installed. I changed them out to the stock white ones and this made the issue better, but I can still see the entire gimbal shaking slightly. It also seems to effect the flight of the aircraft slightly. It's not as smooth as usual.

Any suggestions? Do I really just need to get that adapter? I don't understand how my solution was any different but maybe I'm just missing something entirely.

The adapter (spacer kit) comes with longer screws and taller landing skid also. It's only $15.00
There are many posts here about simply cutting a hole in the bottom of the P2. Most people will have a battery clearance issue with the Yaw Motor. It will contact the battery at some point. The new P2's have the same issue. You either need to add some washers and find some longer screws (with small heads) to space the Gimbal from the bottom of the P2 or get the spacer kit.

Personally, I would get the spacer kit.

Thanks for the notes.

Funny you should mention it because before I cut a hole in the belly; the first thing I did was buy longer screws, washers and locking nuts. I used these to drop the gimbal down about 5mm and that gave the yaw motor clearance. This was terrible however. The entire gimbal shook so much that it made the entire airframe wobble 15-20 degrees towards to the ground. I figured what I had done changes the center of gravity too much or something so I reversed it and tried the hole method.

I guess I can use the longer screws I have and just drop it slighting with some washers and see what happens.

If the screw head is slightly taller or wider then the original ones, it will rub against the swing arm of the yaw portion. Rotate the yaw portion while slightly pushing it up. Check the clearance on the rear mounting screw heads. It shouldn't touch it. Another reason i got the kit. It came with the correct screws.

Xrover said:
The adapter (spacer kit) comes with longer screws and taller landing skid also. It's only $15.00

Personally, I would get the spacer kit.

I swear I'm not just a lazy bastard, I have a P2 with H3-3D on the way (replacing a broken P2 - H3-2D) and if they ALL have this problem needing a spacer/gear I'll just go that route... I've been doing some googling for the last 10 minutes but all I can find are just the normal taller landing gears, no spacer kits.
Would you happen to have the DJI part number for that spacer kit and/or have a link you can share?
thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1