Gimbal unresponsive after Phantom 4 first crash

Reaction score
Well, it happened. Too close to a tree backing up in close quarters and Phantom falls 20 feet to deck. Battery pops out and top part of gimbal cap comes off and now gimbal is completely unresponsive.

Before sending out for repair, would anyone have any suggestions. Would like to get back into air as soon as we can.

I've tried to recalibrate compass and gimbal, but nada. Gimbal points down and the wheel is unresponsive. Ribbon seems intact otherwise.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

I've added some photos here. Trying to search through other threads too and trying to consider best path to get back into the air as soon as I can.

Attachments

• image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 405
  • image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 428
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 388
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 401
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 390
  • image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 404
Camera works - gimbal does not work. No dance. Tried to recalibrate, but does not seem to connect to create movement. Only image.

Compass words during calibration and gimbal says all normal, but it's still not moving or dancing.

Well this morning, I got a dance in the gimbal, but it's stull pointing down and having trouble getting the gimbal cap back on at the top???

Well, it happened. Too close to a tree backing up in close quarters and Phantom falls 20 feet to deck. Battery pops out and top part of gimbal cap comes off and now gimbal is completely unresponsive.

Before sending out for repair, would anyone have any suggestions. Would like to get back into air as soon as we can.

I've tried to recalibrate compass and gimbal, but nada. Gimbal points down and the wheel is unresponsive. Ribbon seems intact otherwise.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

I

Thank you in advance for any pointers.[/QUOTE]

Hi I had the same problem yesterday, I was flying across a roof and my New P4 ran into a wall and dropped about 10 feet onto the roof. (my fault I had mis judged the height of the building ) The anti collision obviously didn't work anyway, the battery had popped out and one broken prop. Other than that no physical sign of damage. When I rebooted the camera moved up and then hung its head down. I tried downgrading the firmware using DJI assistant 2 it failed three times so I gave up and emailed Customer support. When they didn't get back to me today I got on the chat line, while I was waiting I tried the roll back again this time I got a success message. I rebooted and the gimbal is now working. When I checked in the app it shows 01.01.0411 so I guess it just refreshed the firmware. I have rebooted 10 times holding my breath each time and so far the gimbal is working.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can be lucky. Bloody expensive to replace. Glad you got it working

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the response Michael. I just spoke to DJI and was woefully underwhelmed by their repair customer service. A lethargic and uninterested CSR rep basically had no information other than to send it in with one to two weeks turnaround time. I asked him about buying a new gimbal and he said he couldn't advise me on that either - despite the fact they are available on their website. Oh well - got a few other folks I might be able to send it to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic