Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Gimbal/Turning/Bank Questions

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by MikeySoft, Mar 2, 2014.

1. MikeySoft

I just got my P2V 3 days ago so my flying is very basic. I also plan to get a gimbal someday. The Rotorpixel is very interesting.

I hope my flying skills will develop and the P2V will allow me to turn by flying forward and bank at the same time to imitate a fixed wing aircraft turn. IMax movies sometimes do this with a steep bank. I like this affect.

My questions are:
    1. Will the dji Phantom 2 allow me to do this?
    2. If so, will I need to have forward, roll, yaw, up at the same time? I don't plan to try this for a long time. :)
    3. Gimbals are designed to keep the horizon level but is there a way to have it show some bank in this type of turn? Maybe change the gains a little so it stabilizes roll most of the time but shows some bank it this type of turn?
    4. I think a gimbal with an accelerometer in addition to gyros could do this but I don't think this is common, is it?

Thanks

2. Pull_Up

Hello!

1. Yes.

2. Yes! Co-ordinated turns just take practice. A good practice exercise is to start by trying to fly a circle, with the camera following the circumference all the way round, one way then the other. Then move to flying figure-8 patterns, trying to keep the camera pointing in direction of travel all the time.

3. I don't know. In theory you could adjust the sensitivity so it lags into roll axis I guess, but I have yet to get a gimbal and play with the settings to see what can be done. Others more gimbal-savvy than I will be able to advise.

4. Not that I'm aware of at our end of the market, but then someone's probably tried it somewhere!

3. Byrdimaging

Just use the P2V as is and stabilize the video with Adobe After Effects. Don't Check the rotation box when you stabilize it or stabilize it a second time with rotation but not as much that way it is smooth. Basically the effect you want is easier done in post-production.

4. gfredrone

5. MikeySoft

Thanks everyone. Post production sounds like a good idea. I use mostly Pinnacle Studio which has stabilization. I have the version before Avid sold it to a different company. I also have the latest Photoshop Premiere Elements but have not used the Premiere part too much. I'll do some experiments.

I also hope I can modify a setting on the RotorPixel when I want videos with this type of effect. Looking forward to the reviews of the gimbal. :)