Gimbal tilt knob placement discussion

Reaction score
Ok, now that the 7th channel is available for my P2V+ stock TX, I'm planning to install a small joystick or lever or knob for controlling the tilt. I see lots of good advice on how to install one, using a variety of pots and knobs etc, and I think I'm leaning towards a self centering mini joy stick like the one in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28946

But, I haven't seen a discussion on the pros and cons of WHERE to place the knob on the TX. I want to be able to tilt while at the same time changing altitude (to keep the camera pointed at the subject while rising or lowering the perspective of the shot.) I see the placement of the newest version of the stock DJI TX with the wheel to be moved by the left index finger. I guess one could still move the left stick up/down with their thumb while moving that wheel.

Please discuss the pros and cons of driving the tilt with your left or right hand, which ever you prefer. Why did you set it up that way, and would you do it different next time? Joy stick or knob? Level or ???

Thanks,
D86

That left hand pot placement is detrimental to smooth panning in my opinion, as it forces you to remove or otherwise manipulate your stick hands from their natural positions. The original rear right position was ideal, but for me I could more easily activate the switch from the top right position than the top left....YMMV....

Hi D86,

I think you have to put it wherever you feel it’s most comfortable and easy to use for you. Grab your TX and hold the joysticks in your preferred method, thumbs or nipple pinch :roll: and see where you can reach to move the new control while still having good control of the joysticks.

As I’m right handed it was more comfortable and controllable on the right side of the TX for me.

Prior to the firmware updates being released I had a linear pot fitted on the right side just below the top corner, this would have been my favourite position to install the joystick but I had to mount it on the top right in the end because it would have meant cutting a chunk out of my TX carry case for the button to fit in if it was on the side. I can still control both joysticks fine while using the new joystick in this position.

As to Dial, Slider or Joystick, which ever you choose it must really be self centring if you selected the Upgraded Controller in the Software Assistant or your camera will continue to move until you turn the control back.
I’m sure there are self centring dials and sliders out there but I never found one cheap enough, it would have been cheaper just to get a new version TX. There are some that have a sort of click feel when you get back to the centre but that seemed a bit of a pain to me so the cheap joystick you can just let go of to return to centre was the only way to go for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20