Gimbal Tilt Jammed

Reaction score
My Phantom 3 (new as of September) has flown flawlessly, but developed an odd problem. I was unable to tilt the camera while flying. Upon landing, I powered off the drone, and the gimbal did not go "limp" as normal. Normally when powered off the camera points down, but now it stays pointed forward. When I gently try to move the gimbal tilt, it feels as if it is "stuck" on something and it won't move. I have inspected what I can see and there doesn't appear to be anything in the way. The roll is still "free" when powered off, meaning I can gently move the gimbal in all roll directions (if that makes sense) with no power, as I was previously able to do with the tilt as well.

In addition, when I power on the phantom the gimbal doesn't seem to go through the full range of motion as in the tilt direction as before.

Has any one had this issue? Any thoughts on how to remedy it?

My Phantom 3 (new as of September) has flown flawlessly, but developed an odd problem. I was unable to tilt the camera while flying. Upon landing, I powered off the drone, and the gimbal did not go "limp" as normal. Normally when powered off the camera points down, but now it stays pointed forward. When I gently try to move the gimbal tilt, it feels as if it is "stuck" on something and it won't move. I have inspected what I can see and there doesn't appear to be anything in the way. The roll is still "free" when powered off, meaning I can gently move the gimbal in all roll directions (if that makes sense) with no power, as I was previously able to do with the tilt as well.

In addition, when I power on the phantom the gimbal doesn't seem to go through the full range of motion as in the tilt direction as before.

Has any one had this issue? Any thoughts on how to remedy it?
Never heard that one before on the forum-- but maybe some of the other chaps will chime in soon. Welcome to the forum!:):)

Never heard that one before on the forum-- but maybe some of the other chaps will chime in soon. Welcome to the forum!:):)

Thanks for the welcome! I think a call to DJI is in order, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, forgot to mention that all the latest FWs are installed (phantom, RC, and batteries). I did just update to the latest RC firmware through the app. It flew fine a couple of times though before this happened. I have v2.4.0 for the App, iOS 9.1 on an iphone 6.

Thanks for the welcome! I think a call to DJI is in order, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, forgot to mention that all the latest FWs are installed (phantom, RC, and batteries). I did just update to the latest RC firmware through the app. It flew fine a couple of times though before this happened. I have v2.4.0 for the App, iOS 9.1 on an iphone 6.
You should be good with that, I am flying the same, except for an Ipad.

My P3 4K tilt is also jammed. will not move forward/down. Does gimbal calibration well but can not move gimbal with the left dial button. Any suggestions?

Today I had a very similar problem. I tried to fly but had a NO SIGNAL up top. I had 14 satellites, full bars on the HD and REMOTE icons, but a black screen with NO SIGNAL where it normally says "SAFE TO FLY". I powered down the drone and the remote then powered them back on. Still nothing. I went through and reset everything and did an IMU calibration. I got my display back with a "SAFE TO FLY" up top but now my gimbal will not look down. I can only make it look up from the gimbal control on the remote but can make it switch to straight down and back up with the button on bottom. I tried to recalibrate the gimbal but still won't look down just the "snap down".

See we have similar problem!
If you really work on gimbal dial wheel you may get it moving but not as it was originally. I'm guessing after encountering some strong magnetic field that's what happens to it. I still managed though to bring it down because up and down functions on the remote luckily worked. However when the aircraft was near the remote it would not show up on the screen anyway. I did reboot everything, did one more flight and the same result but in the second case it got signal back.
Brought drone home, opened IMU and here you have it, values are blank, how's yours? Please check it out.
It is impossible to calibrate IMU now.

One thing I should admit that I was flying the drone more like straight up but tried to point flat surfaces of the antennas to it. Still no luck with getting the signal back and it was getting lost at around 50 meters, no more. Indeed there were some wi fi interference messages displayed on the aircraft most of the time!

I would not risk to fly at least until IMU calibration and gimbal tilt issues are not fixed.

One question to you. Did you check IMU status after the problem?

And also I was using Ipad Mini 4 LTE if that makes difference

My gimbal does the same SNAP DOWN if you move dial really slow, goes back up straight with no issues and then gets "stuck" on the top.

Please let me know if you fix these. Will definitely do the same. Thanks!

Last edited:
Today I had a very similar problem. I tried to fly but had a NO SIGNAL up top. I had 14 satellites, full bars on the HD and REMOTE icons, but a black screen with NO SIGNAL where it normally says "SAFE TO FLY". I powered down the drone and the remote then powered them back on. Still nothing. I went through and reset everything and did an IMU calibration. I got my display back with a "SAFE TO FLY" up top but now my gimbal will not look down. I can only make it look up from the gimbal control on the remote but can make it switch to straight down and back up with the button on bottom. I tried to recalibrate the gimbal but still won't look down just the "snap down".
Go ahead and do RC calibration where you will calibrate gimbal tilt dial and controller sticks. I did and mine worked like a charm!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers