Gimbal SUPER hot, won't calibrate, freaks out, shakes violently

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been a lurker for sometime and love the posts. Registered today since it's time.....Sorry ahead of time for the long post, I wanted to be thorough in an effort to help you help me.

As the title states, I've tried everything to get my gimbal to work on my Phantom 3 Adv. I flew it a few weeks ago in Houston and then drove back to Montana. Wanted to start it up today and found the gimbal freaking out, I did all the normal steps. I searched around here and wasn't able to find anything rock solid that would work for me. Learned a few cool things should something happen, but nothing has worked. Doesn't mean I didn't miss a thread.

1. Calibrated Gimbal - Didn't work
2. Cold calibrated IMU - Success
3. Calibrated Gimbal - Didn't work
4. Noticed they released a new firmware on 11/29/2016 - Update success
5. Calibrated gimbal - didn't work
6. Calibrated IMU - Success
7. Calibrated gimbal - didn't work
8. Calibrated R/C - Success
9. Calibrated gimbal - didn't work
10. Power cycled a number of times in between.

Pretty much nothing I've tried works. I've tightened a few screws that have caused gimbal problems before and solved due to posts here. Nothing has changed or happened since I last flew it in Houston, other than DJI updated their app and released a new firmware.

Any help? I've attached video of what the gimbal does when the Phantom starts up. This one was rather "mild", it normally goes side to side violently like it did at the very beginning for about a minute before it locks all the way to the right and facing backwards.
Note: during video I did not have controller hooked up to record the startup sequence.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also the DJI app says Gimbal Overloaded and flashes between that and ready to go.

I have seen that odd weird gimble dance on my phantom once during a firmware upgrade...I see the latest firmware has a camera update..if you firmware upgrade was a success, .have you reformatted sd card and turn off everything and restarted?

I know exactly what it is. This happened to my friends drone and mine as well. On the back of your gimbal there is a back panel with 4 screws and one in the middle. Take those off and take the back off. When the back is off you will see a circuit board lift it up a little and put it to the side, don't get crazy with it because there are ribbon cables hooked to it. Once you have done that put on your gimbal bracket that came with it or a aftermarket one that you have purchased. The reason for this is to keep it straight as possible for balancing. The center shaft in the middle where you pulled back the the circuitry has a flat spot on it, make sure that flat spot is exactly 12oclk!!! You can use needle nose plyers to do this. Once it is at 12oclk!! Put it back together and do a gimbal calibration. I have fixed many calibration issues with the gimbal this way. Your video shows this is the problem. This is very simple and should only take you 5-10 min to do. I will guarantee you this will work for you. Please let me know if it worked, it will.......

Sent from my SM-T807V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Alan, yes it was updated. Sorry I didn't get to this post sooner.

I ordered a new cable, thanks everyone. Jnix, I tried that first, but was a good thing to know, thanks for your post!

Alan, yes it was updated. Sorry I didn't get to this post sooner.

I ordered a new cable, thanks everyone. Jnix, I tried that first, but was a good thing to know, thanks for your post!

Did the new cable fix. I am having the same issue after changing the cable and yaw arm. Im wondering if my cable was bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan