Gimbal Shake & Ribbon Cable seating

Reaction score
Hi, my first post here but have been lurking for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I've not had very good luck so far.

About a month ago my first bird (P3A) had a engine burn up during the very first startup and initialization, emitting white smoke. Subsequent start ups, that motor would run extremely hot while just idling, so hot you could not touch it for several minutes after. I was reluctant to fly it since the motor under load I feared would burn up the airframe. Newegg was great and RMA'd the unit and I received the new one two weeks later.

Out of the box I noticed the gimbal ribbon cable isn't nicely seated since the bends are off and manages to work its way out of its channel to make light contact with the camera housing. I can push it back but after every flight it's back to rubbing the housing. I pushed them back in place here but you can still see what I'm referring to in the image attachments below.

IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG

Additionally, I noticed the following behavior the video link below when I tested the gimbal. While I don't believe I'll ever need to record banking that aggressively, I would like to know if this is something I should be concerned about.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks in advance,
CG

The gimbal shaking when you tilt it that far I wouldn't worry about. The ribbon cable is another matter. Mine was doing this when I first got it. What I've never seen is an explanation there is a cable lock on this joint, just like every other joint where the cable connects. And no explanation of how you lock this connection, say if you were to replace the ribbon cable completely. Here's how I got around that. I took a regular old bobby pin and bent about a 16th of an inch of it at a 90 deg angle. That hole for the cable is big enough for the bobby pin to slide in over the cable. If you slide it in, you can hook the locking mechanism, and unlock it. Push the ribbon in evenly as far as it will go, then take a thin screw driver, reach through the hole and push down on the locking mechanism. Be real careful with all of these steps. Sticking sharp things into your drone is not a move for the faint hearted. But your ribbon cable should stay in place after, at least until it comes off in a crash. Then you'll have other stuff to worry about....lol

Reactions: Kantcme

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers