Gimbal Savers anyone?

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple. I see a 3D printed one out there. Curious who uses them. Do they work?

PS I'm not talking about the gimbal protectors, the brace that attaches to the landing gear legs. I'm talking about the units that promoted the motor separating in a crash...

I have the metal one by KillerRC. I've also experienced a high velocity crash (cover by DJI...) It did stop the camera from separating but because of the kinetic forces of the crash the ribbon cable did tear about 1-2mm and the gimbal/ camera support arm did warp.

I also have the Killer RC one, but have never crashed hard but it seems to be well designed and implemented, better than the 3d printed ones.

Alan

The KillerRC is the best one on the market. Well designed and well made. The 3D printed ones are not strong enough to provide the protection you need. I also recommend metal camera retention IMG_9993.JPG pins instead of he plastic ones DJI uses. I've had the camera and gimbal come completely off the Phantom in a mild crash and go skittering across the parking lot because the plastic pins broke. You can get them at UAV Bits. They're cheap.

So I have some 1/4-20 hex head nylon screws and nuts I am thinking of using in the two vacant gimble mount spots. They may be better off slightly smaller 7/32 or 3/16. But I will give the 1/4-20s a chance tomorrow and see if the video gets jittery.

Chuck I wouldn't use something as rigid as nylon screws in those two holes. Some people have tried and they caused additional binding in certain instances which is not what you want. This could introduce vibration (aka jello effect) in your videos. If you want additional protection either upgrade the existing "fall protection pins" or use loose "zip ties" to act as backup fall protection.

Sorry if a silly question, but would there be a problem adding a couple more of the additional pins that come with the P3 to the vacant openings for lessening chances of gimbal seperation?

Thanks

Sorry if a silly question, but would there be a problem adding a couple more of the additional pins that come with the P3 to the vacant openings for lessening chances of gimbal seperation?

Thanks

Causes Jello in the video, like @BigAl07 says will probably occure with the nylon screws. I will probably give it a try, now I am using loose zip ties bent in the shape of a rectangle, they do work fine the screws would be mores secure but may cause jello though.

Reactions: spin2win
is there much difference between the killer rc gimbal saver and the much cheaper alternative ones you can pick up on ebay from china?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20