gimbal saver and guard which ones?

Reaction score
just recently started flying my new p3p.

looking to get a gimbal saver and guard. which are the best ones?

I'm UK based.

That banggood.com sale on dji backpacks was great. While I was there I looked through their accessories and found a guard that looks exactly like mine for only $6.00, they have some good prices on accessories -

Gimbal Camera Lens Protector Board for DJI Phantom 3

dji phantom 3 - Buy Cheap dji phantom 3 - From Banggood

I had got my parts off of Amazon but that one looks good enough. Here's what I bought and I'm sure that you can find the equivalent there.
Amazon.com: Carbon Fiber Camera Guard for Phantom 3: Camera & Photo

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Arm-Re...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Amazon.com : SKYREAT DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver -Protector Phantom 3 Ribbon Cable & Motors : Camera & Photo

looking to get a gimbal saver and guard. which are the best one?

Cypher,

I purchased this gimbal protector for my most recent P3Pro:
Amazon.com: Jiexing Gimbal Crash Protector Ribbon Cable Saver for DJI Phantom 3 Pro Advanced: Toys & Games

And this camera guard:

Amazon.com: Sunrisc Carbon Fiber Gimbal Camera Guard Protective Board & Strap For DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced: Camera & Photo

In my experience, it's important to carefully check the clearance between the clear little bumper on the end of the new arm and the camera motor. I have purchased several of these and many times the gap between that bumper and the camera motor is much too wide. I want mine to have no more gap than about the thickness of a business card. I had one that was about 1/4"! If that gap is too wide it's function is completely useless. Fortunately, I have a lot of electronics stuff around here and I was able to find various "stick-on rubber feet". I pulled the clear thin one off the new arm and was able to replace it with a thicker "rubber foot".

Also, the carbon fiber camera guard can provide a false sense of security. I do have them on all of my birds but their function is limited. They will help to keep things from making contact with your camera, they'll provide some added stability and they"ll provide some protection with "little bumps" or very light crashes. However, in a moderate or higher crash then can actually have an adverse effect as they will break and may actually create debris that can be pushed into the camera. I did some testing a while ago and decided to bend a few of them with my hands. It doesn't take much pressure to snap these things in half. I still use them and it provides a good platform for mounting my trackers but I'm not convinced that they'll provided much protection in a higher impact crash.

All just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

thanks for the replys. just been looking at uavbits strong arms. I have a question though as they seem to do a plate system and an actual arm. very confusing when trying to figure out what some people have fitted.

actually wondering if I need strong arm plates or arms as I have the later shell.

how do I get any of the uav bits stuff in the UK, and the killer rc stuff for that mater.

I'm finding a bit of a dead market in the UK for this sort of thing.

You can't without paying an arm and leg for postage.

Thats why I posted much cheaper alternatives with free postage.

Reactions: cypher007
bad news this one doesn't fit. it leaves about a 4-5mm gap between the pad and joint. even worse it presses against the dji gimbal lock.
It's supposed to have a gap, put it on and you will be happy, it's just a guard to keep things from being able to hit the cable. You can modify the gimbal lock or just get a new one that locks on the lens. The gimbal saver is a must in my book and has saved me a bunch of wasted time and money. It paid for itself with my first crash and then once again on the next. The DJI gimbal lock is ok at best, there's a bunch of good ones out there that are easy to use but you can cut the DJI one up to fit if you really want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Excavator99
I have the killer rc one and have zero complaints;
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver | Killer RC
Honestly, its never been tested in a crash, but it seems well built and the fit is great.

I also have a CF camera guard that doesn't work with the pelican case mine lives in, so it never gets mounted. I think it as $6 on eBay.

For shell reinforcement I have the STO aluminum motor mounts. For all the ones I've seen, they were the best in terms of strength vs. weight.
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Motor-R...fresh&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g236_i1_r

Reactions: Excavator99
I have the killer rc one and have zero complaints;
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver | Killer RC
Honestly, its never been tested in a crash, but it seems well built and the fit is great.

I also have a CF camera guard that doesn't work with the pelican case mine lives in, so it never gets mounted. I think it as $6 on eBay......

+1

Phantom Fix Gimbal Saver, got one on the P2V+ and my P3P had one hard landing that stressed the Gimbal Arm, but didn't separate at the motors or break at the ribbon.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's supposed to have a gap, put it on and you will be happy, it's just a guard to keep things from being able to hit the cable. You can modify the gimbal lock or just get a new one that locks on the lens. The gimbal saver is a must in my book and has saved me a bunch of wasted time and money. It paid for itself with my first crash and then once again on the next. The DJI gimbal lock is ok at best, there's a bunch of good ones out there that are easy to use but you can cut the DJI one up to fit if you really want to.

the gap this has provides no protection if the gimbal separates at that point as the gap is too big. all that would happen is the joint will sheer and the whole lot will fall off.

the other ones ive seen have a very small gap between the motor and the plastic pad.

Reactions: Reed L
too everyone pointing out the killer rc stuff. thank you but I live in the UK and I sent them an email which they didn't reply to, and one of the UK dealers who might have got one didn't come back to me with a price.

ok ive had a look at several ones on ebay and found the problem. a lot seem to look like mine too wide, the listing I bought from had some measurments and they do match the one sent. but this is the problem the little piece that attaches should be 16mm according to another listing showing the saver just behind the motor. the one I have is 19.5mm. so my estimate of 4mm was about right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers