Gimbal Safety Ties?

Reaction score
Prior to getting (today!) my new P2V+ v.3, I had a Blade 350 QX3 w. onboard camera. I noticed on it that the gimbal attaching the camera to the craft had 2 of the 4 vibration absorbers factory secured into the gimbal with plastic keepers. The other 2 were empty. I wondered why.
Now that I've got my new Phantom, the same setup exists on it and again I'm wondering why. I saw on this Vimeo where the guy zip tied the empty holes:
https://vimeo.com/116224716

Anyone have any ideas? Is the gimbal SUPPOSED TO have only 2 connectors? Why not all 4?
Thanks!

Because the anti-drop pins are just insurance and two is all you need.
Don't worry about it.
You'll probably destroy them if you ever remove them and the extra two are spares.

I removed the anti drop pins and used elastic bands as insurance. The anti drop pins give no slack and hence cause whip lash. Because the camera module is held by a magnetic press fit, whip lash causes the camera to pop off and tear the cable.

Mako79, what kind of elastic bands did you use?

I use braided nylon cord,venetian blind cord,as a safety lanyard.
I tied a lop at both ends and thread one end through all four corner rubbers/balls and put the loops around the extenders on the legs of my Phantom.
I have had a couple of hard landings since and the gimbal & camera have stayed connected with the quad.

Thanks, Meta. It seems to be the norm-- so I'll remove the 2 stainless bolts I put in the vacant holes (joking)

You've got some wonderfully exotic photos! I can't wait to get over some slight anxiety and get this camera bird aloft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers