Gimbal Roll Bug in New Firmware?

@Domenic have you checked the FPV vs Follow mode setting? You have made no mention of it, but seems to be the obvious first place to look, especially with lou's observation about the buttons.

The FAP switch has nothing to do with this.

Not exactly sure where to check. If I just open the app after powering up the P3 what is the default? Again I just rebooted (only change) and it fixed itself.

Wow, 9 of the current 20 posts to this thread say its the FPV/FOLLOW settings including my own post #3. @Domenic has responded thats not it.

What else do you guys think it can be? I can't think of anything else personally.

Last edited:
I don't think he is saying that. It doesn't seem like he's actually checked that setting. It is odd that it's switching modes so easily but like others have pointed out, it's the default function of a VERY easy to hit button on the back of the RC. And those too lose their memory often and revert to their default behavior.

So clear this up for us Domenic. When you see the FPV behavior, are you saying you are checking the gimble mode and it still reads Follow?

I don't think he is saying that. It doesn't seem like he's actually checked that setting. It is odd that it's switching modes so easily but like others have pointed out, it's the default function of a VERY easy to hit button on the back of the RC. And those too lose their memory often and revert to their default behavior.

So clear this up for us Domenic. When you see the FPV behavior, are you saying you are checking the gimble mode and it still reads Follow?

I don't even know where the gimbal mode setting is. I don't see how I could be inadvertently changing it because I am not touching the controller or the ipad in between the last two videos I posted today. Simply rebooting the P3 (without touching anything else) "fixes" the problem. If someone can tell me exactly where to check I will do more testing in the morning.

I don't even know where the gimbal mode setting is.

Try this video. This kid makes some pretty helpful tutorials.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Try this video. This kid makes some pretty helpful tutorials.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After watching the video I can now say with 100% certainty that I have ALWAYS been in the default FOLLOW mode and NOT FPV. I tried pressing all buttons on the remote controller and none of them toggled the mode.

I have been flying almost daily for a few months now and only experienced this issue twice. Both times on the initial booting of the P3 and since upgrading to the latest firmware. A simple reboot fixes the problem but as you can imagine (since I didn't even know the follow / FPV modes existed) I freaked out both times thinking something was wrong with my gimbal. Now that I know whats going on I will look in the GUI next time it happens and see if it shows a toggle in the setting. I don't think it has anything to do with the app setting because I certainly didn't change it in between rebooting either through the GUI or inadvertently hitting any buttons.

Looks like nothing but a simple bug that now seems to be harmless now that I know whats going on.

DOM

After watching the video I can now say with 100% certainty that I have ALWAYS been in the default FOLLOW mode and NOT FPV. I tried pressing all buttons on the remote controller and none of them toggled the mode.

I have been flying almost daily for a few months now and only experienced this issue twice. Both times on the initial booting of the P3 and since upgrading to the latest firmware. A simple reboot fixes the problem but as you can imagine (since I didn't even know the follow / FPV modes existed) I freaked out both times thinking something was wrong with my gimbal. Now that I know whats going on I will look in the GUI next time it happens and see if it shows a toggle in the setting. I don't think it has anything to do with the app setting because I certainly didn't change it in between rebooting either through the GUI or inadvertently hitting any buttons.

Looks like nothing but a simple bug that now seems to be harmless now that I know whats going on.

DOM

It is a bug because the app does change settings on it's own.

DOM

The C2 button at the bottom switch this mode from follow to fpv.
When you switch to fpv, (perhaps by accident) then your camera will bank, and after reboot the Phantom 3, it goes by default back to follow mode.

That cant be true because the C2 button will trigger the FPV mode, if this is not the case there is something wrong if your C2 button has the FPV function, you can select different functions for the white back buttons, those are customizable. It often happens that you push those accidentaly, it happend to me as well.

That cant be true because the C2 button will trigger the FPV mode, if this is not the case there is something wrong if your C2 button has the FPV function, you can select different functions for the white back buttons, those are customizable. It often happens that you push those accidentaly, it happend to me as well.

C2 is a switch between FPV and Follow, not just a FPV switch....

Had this exact problem and searching through the forum led me here.
It was puzzling for me because in 100+ flights it happened in only 2-3 of them, so it was over a long period of time with many & different FW updates and different locations
I always thought it was random interference because i knew about FPV/FOLLOW modes and always stuck with FOLLOW for filming.

I'll now test the buttons at the back of the remote - maybe i just happened to press without noticing for that 3% of the time. (So far I was only using C1 I believe for full drop or raise of the camera, ignoring C2)

thanks

Yup, just confirmed it, the C2 default action
Good to know finally, I guess I should read the manual more often and be more careful on the key associations

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers