Gimbal Roll Bug in New Firmware?

Reaction score
Just updated to the new 1.4 firmware yesterday and noticed something different today that I never experienced before regarding how the gimbal was operating. Worked fine (or behaved the same way) for months prior to yesterday and fine all day yesterday with the new firmware. Just today during my first flight that I noticed this (video 1). I then turned everything off - rebooted essentially - and took the second video where everything seemed to be normal.

Example Videos:

Video 1 - horizontal movement fast and slow to the right and left. Gimbal seems to be malfunctioning.

Video 2 - horizontal movement fast and slow to the right and left. Gimbal seems to be OK.

Do you think this was a fluke? Maybe a setting I inadvertently set wrong? Maybe a bug in the new firmware? Anyone ever notice such a malfunction or "feature" ever?

DOM

Are you in follow setting? Or FPV?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Follow mode vs FPV mode?

That is not correct. Maybe a gimbal calibration? Someone else with more experience might be more helpful.

The gimbal seems to be set to fpv, just check it's not in the settings. Hope it's just something as simple as that for ya.

Just updated to the new 1.4 firmware yesterday and noticed something different today that I never experienced before regarding how the gimbal was operating. Worked fine (or behaved the same way) for months prior to yesterday and fine all day yesterday with the new firmware. Just today during my first flight that I noticed this (video 1). I then turned everything off - rebooted essentially - and took the second video where everything seemed to be normal.

Example Videos:

Video 1 - horizontal movement fast and slow to the right and left. Gimbal seems to be malfunctioning.

Video 2 - horizontal movement fast and slow to the right and left. Gimbal seems to be OK.

Do you think this was a fluke? Maybe a setting I inadvertently set wrong? Maybe a bug in the new firmware? Anyone ever notice such a malfunction or "feature" ever?

DOM

First video is FPV, video2 is Follow.

I never touched any other settings or the PAF button (in the P position both times) on the controller between videos. I just rebooted the bird & restarted the app.

Lol! That's why I said ask someone with more experience! Just tryin to help a brotha out.

My apologies. I thought you were saying everyone was incorrect. I guess you meant that the videos were not correct.

My apologies. I thought you were saying everyone was incorrect. I guess you meant that the videos were not correct.

Correct, the video did not look right...Not a problem! I should have made it more clear.

I never touched any other settings or the PAF button (in the P position both times) on the controller between videos. I just rebooted the bird & restarted the app.

In video 1, the setting had to be in FPV mode. The app is known to change settings on it's own without you touching them. Happened to me once. That's why it is always a good idea to check them all including the failsafe settings before flying.

Your bird switched from Follow mode to FPV, no question. If you've never used it, that's exactly how it works. Mine has switched modes on its own a few times as have many others on here. Just switch it back and you should be good.

Example Videos:

DOM

UPDATE:

I have 100% confirmed this is a bug. Today I just turned the P3 on and you can see what is going on in this video:

By just rebooting the quad it goes back to normal.

Fyi, the one of the buttons on the bottom of the contoller is defaulted to switch modes when tapped.....are you maybe accidentally hitting that?

Fyi, the one of the buttons on the bottom of the contoller is defaulted to switch modes when tapped.....are you maybe accidentally hitting that?

When I shot the two quick videos above I only rebooted the P3 and didn't touch any buttons on the controller. Just moved the stick after it reconnected.

@Domenic have you checked the FPV vs Follow mode setting? You have made no mention of it, but seems to be the obvious first place to look, especially with lou's observation about the buttons.

The FAP switch has nothing to do with this.

Reactions: louforgiveno
The RH side (probably) rocker switch underneath defaults to FPV or Follow and it can change back to defaults after firmware updates..
FPV mode is supposed to give more of the feeling of banking as you zoom about, you rarely see it used in P3 videos.

You need a proper test outdoors after ensuring it is set in Follow either from the app or switch.
The switch is probably best set to change between Map and Camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl