Gimbal Roll Adjustment Misbehaves

Ok guys, got a return E-mail from my rep and he stated that there have been some P4's that have had this issue and he recommended what I had said about downgrading and reupgrading firmware first before sending in or returning. He said that 8 out of ten will take the re upgrade and the issue should be resolved. One other thing that he noted was to be sure and re calibrate the OA sensors as well. Run a cold IMU calibration, then a auto gimbal calibration.
Be sure to power down the bird and restart. If this does not work, then you may very well have to send in for service.
I hope this helps fellows and good luck.
Let me know if it has resolved the problem. BB.. :D

Last edited:
Ok guys, got a return E-mail from my rep and he stated that there have been some P4's that have had this issue and he recommended what I had said about downgrading and reupgrading firmware first before sending in or returning. He said that 8 out f ten will take the re upgrade and the issue should be resolved. One other thing that he noted was to be sure and re calibrate the OA sensors as well. Run a cold IMU calibration, then a auto gimbal calibration.
Be sure to power down the bird and restart. If this does not work, then you may very well have to send in for service.
I hope this helps fellows and good luck.
Let me know if it has resolved the problem. BB.. :D

Thanks for all your help.

Did the firmware downgrade/upgrade and the OA calibration. Waiting for the bird to cool down and then I'll run the IMU calibration. (Firmware by itself didn't help.)

OK. I have now completed the firmare downgrade/upgrade, OA (optical avoidance) calibration and I recalibrated the IMUs. The symptoms remain.

I was just thinking... Since the P4 has automatic gimbal calibration, what exactly is the value of a manual calibration feature? Is is available as a backup in case the auto cal doesn't work? Maybe because there might be circumstances where somebody wants to intentionally have a camera rolled left or right? This might be a good question for DJI and may write them to ask.
Manual calibration is designed to level the horizon during flight, or possibly before. The shortcut is to use the right underside button, and press and hold it, while turning the exposure wheel. Adjust as needed, in either direction, at any time, to make sure the horizon stays level, if it isn't, for whatever reason. However, these changes do not persist after shutting the aircraft off, unlike a proper gimbal calibration.

Reactions: RussOnTheRoad
Manual calibration is designed to level the horizon during flight, or possibly before. The shortcut is to use the right underside button, and press and hold it, while turning the exposure wheel. Adjust as needed, in either direction, at any time, to make sure the horizon stays level, if it isn't, for whatever reason. However, these changes do not persist after shutting the aircraft off, unlike a proper gimbal calibration.

Thanks. Now that is good to know! Why don't they put this stuff in the manual? That's rhetorical of course. Do you remember how/where you learned about that?

Meanwhile, Before you posted I wrote to DJI to see what they say. I'll report back if I hear from them.

Thanks. Now that is good to know! Why don't they put this stuff in the manual? That's rhetorical of course. Do you remember how/where you learned about that?

Meanwhile, Before you posted I wrote to DJI to see what they say. I'll report back if I hear from them.
It was documented in one of the updates to DJI GO and the RC. Works! :cool:
However, unlike the gimbal roll adjustment in the app, you don't get to see the degrees of change, but the one in the app also works in flight, too. Instead, you get a green line overlayed over the FPV image, to use as a level. Knowing the correct number of degrees could allow you to preset that change before each takeoff, so your inflight continuous video won't be jerking around while you level it out, assuming that it is a consistent difference, and not better permanently fixable via a gimbal calibration.

Last edited:
Actually the manual changes while in flight or before do not stick. Within seconds the adjustments to level the horizon are bumped out of alignment sometimes worse then before. These manual adjustments do not work. I can tell you from experience and recommend if you're able to do so return your P4 and get a new one...it is a defective unit. My fourth P4 horizon is always level and I don't have to screw around with in flight adjustments. There is a major defect to this iteration of the Phantom and DJI is holding their cards close.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Actually the manual changes while in flight or before do not stick. Within seconds the adjustments to level the horizon are bumped out of alignment sometimes worse then before. These manual adjustments do not work. I can tell you from experience and recommend if you're able to do so return your P4 and get a new one...it is a defective unit. My fourth P4 horizon is always level and I don't have to screw around with in flight adjustments. There is a major defect to this iteration of the Phantom and DJI is holding their cards close.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Indeed, on my first P4, now returned, I had this happen only once during one of my three flights with it, so I have experienced it, and that gimbal also squealed like a stuck pig anytime you moved the P4 with the battery on. I agree that if it is happening all the time, it is a defect.

It was documented in one of the updates to DJI GO and the RC. Works! :cool:
However, unlike the gimbal roll adjustment in the app, you don't get to see the degrees of change, but the one in the app also works in flight, too. Instead, you get a green line overlayed over the FPV image, to use as a level. Knowing the correct number of degrees could allow you to preset that change before each takeoff, so your inflight continuous video won't be jerking around while you level it out, assuming that it is a consistent difference, and not better permanently fixable via a gimbal calibration.

I heard back from DJI and they confirmed what you'd written: "While in flight the gimbal may become miss-aligned you can be able to make adjustments on the fly or make really unique aerial shots."

That said, as the OP of this thread I wrote and as others have later herein confirmed, these manual adjustments don't stick, at least on some units, including mine.

I heard back from DJI and they confirmed what you'd written: "While in flight the gimbal may become miss-aligned you can be able to make adjustments on the fly or make really unique aerial shots."

That said, as the OP of this thread I wrote and as others have later herein confirmed, these manual adjustments don't stick, at least on some units, including mine.
Yes, as I wrote, on my first P4, it did that once, while trying to straighten the horizon, so I have seen it first hand. I returned that unit, and the function now works correctly on the new P4. I would return it for exchange, and try and get a good one.

I had this issue as well. the gimbal would "snapback" to its initial position as soon as i put any input on the sticks. mine got so screwed up the camera ended up glitching out and swiveling way down and to the left looking at the leg and wouldnt move from that position until i flew it home and restarted.

After that i went home and did a IMU and gimbal calibration cold on a perfectly level surface and my horizon has been pretty good since.

I believe the root issue is a software problem despite what i see other people saying. The reason i think this is because ive had my drone horizon "tilted" to the left and to the right under different flights. it was never consistently to the right or left.

...can someone explain EXACTLY how to do the firmware downgrade then upgrade process - like you're explaining to a five-year old ;)

...much thanks from a non-engineer-type!
This...to us newbies, this would be a great help. I am also having issues with manual gimbal settings not staying put.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj