Gimbal Ribbon Reinforcement?

Reaction score
Just wondering if this would be feasible.. Has anyone ever reinforced their gimbal ribbon so it can't tear? Years ago, I used to use a roll of metallic/silver tape (maybe metalic mylar) to black out portions of 35mm slides. That tape was pretty much impossible to tear. If that or something similar were to be applied to one side of the gimbal ribbon (I assume the ribbon is insulated), it might make it a lot less likely to tear. Something I might look into.

Yep. I just bought and installed that. I guess in reality there is no need to reinforce the ribbon itself if you prevent the gimbal from flying apart in the first place with the bracket.

The gimbal can separate/break in different spots or the ribbon cable can be damaged by causes other than the gimbal separating and there is nothing you can do to 100% prevent that so just do what you can and hope for the best if you have a crash ;)

MapMaker53 said:
Just wondering if this would be feasible.. Has anyone ever reinforced their gimbal ribbon so it can't tear? Years ago, I used to use a roll of metallic/silver tape (maybe metalic mylar) to black out portions of 35mm slides. That tape was pretty much impossible to tear. If that or something similar were to be applied to one side of the gimbal ribbon (I assume the ribbon is insulated), it might make it a lot less likely to tear. Something I might look into.

I just made a template from the cable and used my cutter to cut out a red vinyl adhesive-backed cable protector. I will install this when I get time to take apart the gimbal.

RB

Attachments

• IMG_20141007_114915~2.jpg
    IMG_20141007_114915~2.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 363

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20