Gimbal ribbon cable

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a P2V+ and I was about to take off today and the camera was doing the calibration dance after the Phantom was turned on. The camera just fell off and the ribbon cable broke!!! Seems that the part that fell off is attached only by pressure. Do you know if I can buy the ribbon cable?

gmbn.inc said:
marcusdji said:
Hi,

I have a P2V+ and I was about to take off today and the camera was doing the calibration dance after the Phantom was turned on. The camera just fell off and the ribbon cable broke!!! Seems that the part that fell off is attached only by pressure. Do you know if I can buy the ribbon cable?
I think you can get a replacement ribbon but they are rare & it's a very delicate procedure to replace it. Requires the gimbal to be disassembled. The camera shouldn't just 'fall off', are you sure the pin/shaft holding it on hasn't snapped?
Bit late now, but the latest firmware update just released has a fix to prevent gimbal jitter/twitch on boot up...

Yes, the camera just fell off. The shaft for the yaw movement is the weakest link, it is just pressed fit. I disassembled the whole gimbal. Very simple process. My gimbal is like new, just need the ribbon cable, do you know where to find it?

I was hoping to see an answer to the question about repair parts for the Vision + camera and gimbal. Anyone have any luck? I have heard there are a lot of other folks in need of that ribbon cable. thanks

Have you checked with DJI? Until recently they wouldn't even issue an RMA for repair because they didnt have parts. I finally got an RMA yesterday so they seem to have the parts now. I'm not 100% confident the gimbal will be back to normal after replacing the cable so I'm going to let them fix it..

ryanhoelzer said:
Have you checked with DJI? Until recently they wouldn't even issue an RMA for repair because they didnt have parts. I finally got an RMA yesterday so they seem to have the parts now. I'm not 100% confident the gimbal will be back to normal after replacing the cable so I'm going to let them fix it..

I removed the ribbon from a working P2V+ and installed on mine and it worked fine. So we just need a supplier for these cables,

marcusdji said:
ryanhoelzer said:

I removed the ribbon from a working P2V+ and installed on mine and it worked fine. So we just need a supplier for these cables,

Just a question or two..
1. can you easily scratch the coating on the ribbon? exposure may cause to short from the humidity?
2. are they poorly designed, ie too close to each other? Is the flex too much that is can snap and cause a short?
3. is the locking mechanism to hold the cable in poorly designed? Does it slip out on angle, so far out that the connections somehow cross?

I ask as I have read that the gimbal dance occurs after a light crash or a bump from a branch. If I had to CSI this, I reckon the cable is getting loose too easily.

Thanks in advance..

marcusdji said:
Yes, the camera just fell off. The shaft for the yaw movement is the weakest link, it is just pressed fit. I disassembled the whole gimbal. Very simple process. My gimbal is like new, just need the ribbon cable, do you know where to find it?

The gimbal I took apart had a lock screw on the yaw axis attachment, there is a bearing pressure fit over the end of the shaft to help keep that axis centred. The other axis were secured via stews through to the motors, there were no axis only pressure fit. There were multiple points where just about any trauma could cause a cable or board failure though. It's a delicate device no doubt, the design could certainly be improved to make the device harder to damage.

All of this talk about how the gimbal is so delicate, has me grabbing my P2V+ out of the air after every flight.

I haven't done a real landing on the ground since my first two days of practice flights.

Besides, most places I fly have sand on the ground or rocky uneven surfaces, so I'd rather just grab it out of the air than risk chewing up my props by tipping over.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31