Gimbal questions

Reaction score
When I turn on the gimbal it's making a slight noise, it's very quiet but it sounds like a motor quietly running. The gimbal is working perfectly otherwise.

Also, every time I turn on the gimbal it points the camera to the ground, i can use the RC to point the camera up without any problems but if i turn the phantom off and on the gimball will again initialize itself to point to the ground. Is this normal?

I dont have the lever, i have the scroll wheel, i have new rc.

I'm going to take a guess and say the gimbal isn't neutral balanced. theoretically, with the power OFF you should be able to point the gimbal straight ahead and when you let go, it basically stays in place.
If it drops hard to one side or tips forward to the front hard, then it's not exactly in balance, so that's why with the power ON the gimbal motor has to "work" harder than it should like I think you described in your original post.

Here are some videos I made when I was having similar problem with my gimbal... I'm not saying my solution works for you (it might) but at least it'll demonstrate an unbalanced vs good balance

This is an example of a set that is NOT balanced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0

this is how I fixed mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

you're right, that's pretty good neutral balance.

The way mine ways worked was: If the RC was OFF and I turn on the Phantom, the gimbal will initialize then point at a 45 degree angle.
If the RC is ON when I turn on the phantom, after initializing the camera will point to wherever the X1 lever is set to.

So like, if you have the camera pointed forward with the RC on and you turn the Phantom off / on, does the camera point straight down, or after initializing does it go back to forward?

the sound is indeed the sound the motors make when they're running, so it's having to "work" a little to keep the camera pointed.

unfortunately why this is, or if it's even a "problem" per se, I cannot say with any authority

Could this be because of the new RC's scroll wheel? Is that side wheel a digitally controlled pot as opposed to an analogue one which stays at the value it was last used at?

yes, i have the new rc with the scroll wheel. I guess it's not really a scroll wheel, you can't scroll it around 360 degrees, it only scrolls about 30 degrees each way so it does not keep its position like the lever does. I'm gonna think the camera pointing down is normal, so far everything has been working fine.

Did you try and reverse X1 in the assistant? There's a button next to X1 that says normal or reverse. Try the opposite of what is currently selected. Also try and calibrate X1

arizeda said:
Did you try and reverse X1 in the assistant? There's a button next to X1 that says normal or reverse. Try the opposite of what is currently selected. Also try and calibrate X1
I just tried the REV and NORMAL for X1 but it only reverses the rc knob, but does not affect the initial position of the gimbal.

TomasBKK said:
arizeda said:
I just tried the REV and NORMAL for X1 but it only reverses the rc knob, but does not affect the initial position of the gimbal.

Try playing with horizontal and vertical tilt in gimbal settings in the Phantom assistant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic