Gimbal question

Reaction score
Heyhey, just a gimbal question, there are many topics about it, i know, and i tried the search option but it didn't really help.

Just have a simple question, i need a gimbal that JUST holds everything stead. No need to control it from the ground, just a steady image.
What would be the one?

Well, most of us don't really know the best since most of us only own one, but the Tarot 2 D works okay, but the instructions with mine were non existent and I had to find out myself how to wire it up.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25997

I must tell you something about my Tarot 2 D gimbal.

I have been working on it all day and I have discovered something else.

Presuming I have wired it okay, the tilt from maximum elevation to minimum depression is excessive to say the least.

In the Naza assistant ADVANCED – GIMBAL I have found that the PITCH max and MIN have to be set on 105 to stop the gimbal from going up and down too far. From up full to down full takes five and a half minutes – which is bloody useless to say the least.

So I have had to settle for 500 in both settings and set for the desired angle before take off. If I try to adjust from looking straight down to a 20 degree angle down the control is VERY sensitive and near enough impossible to achieve in flight.

I hope I have explained this okay.

So, if you want to use the tilt control in flight – forget it.

Maybe this is how it is meant to be, and having not had experience with other gimbals, has anyone any other make that you can adjust so you can use it in flight from straight down to a chosen angle while in flight ACCURATELY?

Thanks

Pete

Good luck

I found a cheap one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAY ... UTF8&psc=1

I just have a few flights with it holding the Hero 3. It appears to be designed for the Hero and may not work with something else due to balance issues.

Gusty winds and radical control inputs don't seem to be an issue.

UPDATE:
The stock landing gear is barely tall enough. There is sufficient clearance on a flat surface. I'm not sure it would even clear the camera strap on a fresh cut green. I know it doesn't clear on a gravel road.

UPDATE #2: How to write a run-on sentence.
My gimbal has 4 columns of 3 pins (indicated by RED dots in the photo) and when looking down on the circuit board, I need to hook up to the UPPER pin on the RIGHT (labeled "AO", which is the same as in the videos I have seen) to utilize the pitch control. I'm mentioning this because all the videos I have seen are hooking up to the UPPER LEFT pin. Mine works with the UPPER RIGHT "AO" pin (at least on the bench). I'm hoping it doesn't all blow up in a few minutes.

Poor photo quality in the attachment, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

FYI & in case someone else has had a similar experience... my gimbal ran into a 4 wheeler a quarter mile out, at about 10 mph, and now doesn't always boot up correctly. I've put it where I think it should be and it seems to kinda wake up. I've also unplugged the battery and waited a few seconds to power it up again, which also works sometimes.

I wish the gimbal wasn't attached to the quad when it ran into the 4 wheeler. I guess I'll be using it as a crash test dummy till I get better at flying and have good FPV to help.

This landing gear helps and has survived a couple "rough" landings. I found it on Amazon for $9.00 Prime. If you're going to put them on, do it when you install the gimbal or you will have to do the wiring all over again... Duh!
ZJchao(TM) Tall Landing Gear for DJI Phantom 1 2 Vision Quadcopter Wide & High Extend Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPC ... UTF8&psc=1

The FC40 is proving to be a pretty tough machine. The GoPro catches every second of impact too. Gotta love the winds here.

Am I really the only person in Wyoming flying a Phantom?

Attachments

• Gimbal-Board_Pins.jpg
    Gimbal-Board_Pins.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 349
Hi. I've installed the AerialFreaks Cyclops 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal System on my DJI Phantom FC40, which does exactly what you want (it holds the standard FC 40 camera steady). It's available from Helidirect and costs $250.00. It seems to be sold out at the moment (see this link https://www.helidirect.com/advanced_sea ... e&x=12&y=6) Perhaps if you call them they can tell you when the gimbal will be available again.

Heli direct told me they were no longer going to carry the Cyclops. I got mine from a dealer on eBay. The only complaint I have with it is that it blocks the USB port whenits installed. If you have to make any changes in Assistant, you have to remove the gimbal.

deltamike said:
I must tell you something about my Tarot 2 D gimbal.

I have been working on it all day and I have discovered something else.

Presuming I have wired it okay, the tilt from maximum elevation to minimum depression is excessive to say the least.

In the Naza assistant ADVANCED – GIMBAL I have found that the PITCH max and MIN have to be set on 105 to stop the gimbal from going up and down too far. From up full to down full takes five and a half minutes – which is bloody useless to say the least.

So I have had to settle for 500 in both settings and set for the desired angle before take off. If I try to adjust from looking straight down to a 20 degree angle down the control is VERY sensitive and near enough impossible to achieve in flight.

Have you installed the Tarot software on your PC? There are two modes, one where the lever position on controller corresponds to the angle of the camera, and another where the lever position corresponds to the speed that the camera moves. The second mode is default, but you need to select the first one. You can also limit the camera angle extents within the same software. I'm away at the moment, but if you have problems finding the settings let me know and I'll check when I get back home tomorrow night.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers