Gimbal Protector Installation

Reaction score
Just got my Phantom 4 today and now have all ready to fly except compass calibration which I'll hopefully get to tomorrow.

My question is, when installing the gimbal protector it is of course snug on the gimbal but being my first Phantom it scares me installing the protector as I have to hold onto the gimbal to get it fully seated. How sensitive is the gimbal unit and should I be extremely gentle installing the protector?

The gimbal is the most fragile part of the Phantom. However, I don't think you're going to damage it by installing the gimbal lock. Here's how I do it:
  • Hold the Phantom upside down (landing gear pointing in the air so you can see what you're doing)
  • Line up one side of the gimbal lock on the landing gear where you'd like to attach it and snap it in place
  • Line up the other side of the gimbal lock about 2 inches from the landing gear
  • As you move the other side of the gimbal lock closer to the landing gear, rotate the camera and ensure it's lined up to slide into the center of the gimbal lock
  • Snap the other side of the gimbal lock onto the landing gear
I found it a little tricky to attach at first. But, it gets easier after doing it a few times.

Last edited:
Thanks msinger. All tips/tricks/techniques from more experienced owners are greatly appreciated. Having never done it before I was putting it on the gimbal first and then snapping it to the landing gear.

I was putting it on the gimbal first and then snapping it to the landing gear
That's what I tried first too -- as it seems like the natural thing to do. Snapping on one side first make the process a lot easier though.

It kind of helps to tilt the bird back at about a 45 degree angle when installing the guard.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The gimbal is the most fragile part of the Phantom. However, I don't think you're going to damage it by installing the gimbal lock. Here's how I do it:
  • Hold the Phantom upside down (landing gear pointing in the air so you can see what you're doing)
  • Line up one side of the gimbal lock on the landing gear where you'd like to attach it and snap it in place
  • Line up the other side of the gimbal lock about 2 inches from the landing gear
  • As you move the other side of the gimbal lock closer to the landing gear, rotate the camera and ensure it's lined up to slide into the center of the gimbal lock
  • Snap the other side of the gimbal lock onto the landing gear
I found it a little tricky to attach at first. But, it gets easier after doing it a few times.
I little trick I did myself was put a "L" and "R" sticker to indicate the end part of each of the clamps. Later I saw someone make the same lines but by cutting a rubber piece out of the landing skids to mark the same spot I did with a label maker decal. Of course it's pretty easy to figure out what is left and right but I am extremely OCD and also once flew a whole bat with my gimbal lock on which somehow didn't seem to damage it.

It kind of helps to tilt the bird back at about a 45 degree angle when installing the guard.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

See, I disagree, I just like up the edges to my pre-labeled spots and I know the camera should be looking at a perfect 90 degrees and then it falls into place and snap and done. I dunno. Pretty simple stuff here. Whatever works for you. One day they will figure out a self locking gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4