Gimbal Protector Bracket

Reaction score
I purchased a gimbal protector bracket (not a lock) on Amazon for my P4. I finally had a chance to fly it today and I was tripping out how weird the bird was acting. It would not hold a hover (more than the usual problem) and when I descended from a high altitude with full left stick down it would barely descend, took forever. I figured the bracket was interfering with the downward sensors so I took it off and flew again. Everything was back to normal. I contacted the seller with my concerns and he responded with a picture showing EXACTLY where the bracket had to be positioned (4.5 cm from the front of the landing gear). I have yet to try fly again but I am pretty sure that is where I had it originally. I may have to measure exactly (1.77 inches) and make a mark on the gear so I know where to place it. Not sure if it is worth it...

Just posting this as a heads up in case anyone else has problems.

Maybe they ran out and are printing more? I got mine over a week ago.

3D printed protectors are not strong enough to provide any actual protection in a crash. I've tested several and only the carbon fiber gimbal protectors are strong enough. Sensor interference is a problem in many of these designs.

3D printed protectors are not strong enough to provide any actual protection in a crash. I've tested several and only the carbon fiber gimbal protectors are strong enough. Sensor interference is a problem in many of these designs.
Who makes a carbon fiber version for P4? Link?

I installed one of these 2 days back and had a truly terrible day on a commercial shoot yesterday. Was first day with a new replacement P4P and I suffered on thinking there was something wrong with the new craft (being first flight and new firmware etc) - floating around on spot, wouldn't fly forward + change altitude together, until end of day when I suspected this protector interfering with the downwards sensors. At one stage I could not get the AC down from 50ft in low light for 10+ mins. It would come down maybe 10cm (3") each time. With the flighttime saying 3mins left I positioned myself ready to catch it. Luckily I got it down just in time - perhaps 12mins to drop 100ft (and a 1000x down on the left stick).

I had installed after a fall onto rock which bashed the previous P4P gimbal up. I think I'll throw this away just revert back to better flying, rather than the hassles caused by this equipment.

I never used mine again after the first experience, not worth the risk.

Same experience here, with my P4. The newer VPS is so powerful those gimbal protectors can confuse the VPS logic. Today you can turn off VPS to resolve this problem, like you can do over water, but you forgo the convenience of VPS when landing.

Reactions: WWK888

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic