gimbal protection

Reaction score
Hi do you guys use and protection in flight for the gimbal or a plate for the bottom of the skid plate at all

I had this one installed on my P2V+. It's made well and fits well. I'm not sure how it would hold up in a crash though -- never had the chance to find out :)

You can find some other commonly used gimbal/camera protectors here:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Last edited:
Yes . I use both, I had a heavy crash landing with the Phantom in its correct orientation, the skid plate took the impact, and shattered, which is fine by me,but the gimbal survived untouched.
I think the skid plate should be disposable, its job is to absorb some of the shock, just like the crumple zone in a car.

I think the skid plate should be disposable
This is an interesting point. I've seen some people recommend not using plates made out of carbon fiber since that would make them stronger than the Phantom's plastic body. I suppose you'd need to do a bunch of test crashes to prove that theory though.

This is an interesting point. I've seen some people recommend not using plates made out of carbon fiber since that would make them stronger than the Phantom's plastic body. I suppose you'd need to do a bunch of test crashes to prove that theory though.
Yes, but one crash is enough for me, however I will continue to use what I believe are relatively weak and disposable protection plates.

I will continue to use what I believe are relatively weak and disposable protection plates.
The key is to find the balance between too weak and too strong. If too weak, something could bust through and destroy the camera. If too strong, another part of the Phantom could be destroyed.

Reactions: Jayfdee
I had this one installed on my P2V+. It's made well and fits well. I'm not sure how it would hold up in a crash though -- never had the chance to find out :)

You can find some other commonly used gimbal/camera protectors here:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

I have the same CF guard and the same companies gimbal inertia guard.
In july I backed my plus into top of a 50 foot coconut tree when shooting on Sanibell Island Fla.

After watching it hit and bounce branch to branch and then down to ground, I picked it up and was amazed that all was in one piece still except battery came out, even props survived.

Brushed off some tree bark and dirt, reinserted battery and was amazed to see it fire up in perfect order and it flew fine the rest of vacation.
cant say for sure but I think the guards paid for them selves that day

Good camera gimbal protection is "a must" IMO. I had installed carbon fiber on mine from the very beginning and it saved my camera two times at least.

the gimbal plate i got whenever i turn on the gimbal rotate and hit, i need once not hit the gimbal when turn on, im using P3.

the gimbal plate i got whenever i turn on the gimbal rotate and hit, i need once not hit the gimbal when turn on, im using P3.

Mine has two positions: it is possible to adjust it forward-back releative to camera. Maybe it is possible to fix yours a little bit more away from camera also ?

This is my P2V+ with Killer RC gimbal saver and UAV Bits camera guard. I found a bit of foam takes the weight off the dampeners for storage or transport.

I highly recommend at LEAST a camera guard be fitted on any Phantom with a camera.
image.jpg

BTW the petal lens cover is from Shapeways, and UAV Bits makes a nice filter holder that slips over the lens for ND and CP filters.

ive ordered a carbon lower guard so far and trying to locate a dealer in the uk for one of those gimbal clamps

Mine has two positions: it is possible to adjust it forward-back releative to camera. Maybe it is possible to fix yours a little bit more away from camera also ?
mine only have one position, do you have link of yr?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4