Gimbal problems

Reaction score
So I just got a phantom 3 pro about 4 days ago and everything has been perfect with it until I was flying in the park and I ran into a bunch of branches, it made a loud noise, and I just took my hands off the controls and it fell, wasn't a steep fall but I'm not sure what the exact problem is. The camera works good, everything is powering on fine, but it sounds like a gear in the gimbal motor is clicking a lot and it's not moving right and not calibrating. Just need to know what I can do, willing to buy a new gimbal I guess but I want to repair it cheaper if I can with the fact that I just paid $1,079 a few days ago. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I just got a phantom 3 pro about 4 days ago and everything has been perfect with it until I was flying in the park and I ran into a bunch of branches, it made a loud noise, and I just took my hands off the controls and it fell, wasn't a steep fall but I'm not sure what the exact problem is. The camera works good, everything is powering on fine, but it sounds like a gear in the gimbal motor is clicking a lot and it's not moving right and not calibrating. Just need to know what I can do, willing to buy a new gimbal I guess but I want to repair it cheaper if I can with the fact that I just paid $1,079 a few days ago. Thanks

First of all, don't fly close to anything until you get your wings. Second, how good are you at repairing small things? You may have just gotten a piece of sand in the works. Try holding the Phantom at different angles and running the gimbal through it's motions. Without taking it apart, you could loosen a few of the screws holding the gimbal motor together and blow air through it to see if that solves the problem. If none of this works you may have to do major surgery, order the parts you need, and......fix it.

Okay thanks a lot I appreciate it. And it feels like it shouldn't be too big of a problem because the camera is still moving and everything once I turn it on like it normally does but after about 5-10 seconds it starts clicking and acting weird

Does it look like it's trying to move on those clicks? Like a little jerk when it clicks?

Check your ribbon cable for damage. If there's nothing you can see, look on YT for horizon calibration. Sometimes in a crash the camera can get out of whack. Its an adjustment on the back of the gimbal. It's an easy fix.

Yeah there's a jerk and it's trying to move, like especially when I face it upward and downward and it tries to look that way it clicks and jerks.

What does the ribbon cable look like? I'm pretty new to drones, the phantom is only my third

Make sure the vertical arm down to the camera isn't bent.

Air Ontario, now that I look at it the arm does look a little crooked...

Update: it won't let me fly without beginner mode because otherwise it has to calibrate and the cameras not moving right for it to calibrate. But it let me fly just fine on beginner mode, but the camera will only look up and down and is stuck looking to the right when flying.

Ribbon cable is the black ribbon running through the gimbal. Winds it's way around and ends up at the camera. The ends sometimes come loose too. They sometimes get a nick in a crash, and the gimbal starts acting up. Not an expensive part, but kind of a ***** to put on, but doable. The horizon level is easier, and probably takes 30 min to do.

Oh I see what you're saying yeah I believe I saw some on eBay, I would have absolutely no problem putting in as much time as I need to to have this fixed honestly, and I've learned a big lesson to not go near anything lol

Oh I see what you're saying yeah I believe I saw some on eBay, I would have absolutely no problem putting in as much time as I need to to have this fixed honestly, and I've learned a big lesson to not go near anything lol

Happens to most, but admitted by few....LOL

Still want advice from other people, not sure what I'm going to do yet about this but I want it fixed asap doesn't really matter how much time or money

I don't have much helpful info, but just completed a teardown of the entire gimbal, starting at the point where the Yaw Arm connects to the shaft with a set screw, all the way to the camera.
The only thing I can say of value is that there are no gears in either the roll gimbal (horizon) motor, or the pitch gimbal (camera up and down).
Whether or not there are any up in the yaw gimbal (left right) motor I cannot say with actual knowledge, but I can say with confidence that there are no gears up there either.
Did you inspect your flex (ribbon) cable for nicks or tears?
I crashed last week, and things were bent, roll arm, Yaw arm, but I was able to perform a gimbal calibration still, and the camera leveled perfectly.
During disassembly to repair my bent parts, I learned how easy it was to tear my flex cable in two.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That makes sense, You don't care how much time it takes, but you want it fixed asap. ????????

I want something done about it asap, it doesn't matter how much time it takes.

mdowney, just looked at the ribbon and there's no nicks or tears. I really feel like it has something to do with the arm, would buying a new arm on eBay and replacing it work?

I want something done about it asap, it doesn't matter how much time it takes. I apologize. I didn't notice your age. You'll probably learn in time what that statement has wrong with it.

No I realize what's wrong with it, I just didn't say it the right way

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic