Gimbal Problem / Firmware Update?

Reaction score
Flying a P3 Standard - got it as a gift last July and have flown it trouble free for many flights until last week.

Was flying normally when suddenly the camera pointed straight down. I could move it back up with the wheel but if I let the wheel go to neutral the camera would once again fall straight down.

Was bringing it in for a landing - and crap, struck a wire I didn't see (dog run that I forgot was there) and it crashed from about 8 feet. No visible damage.

But now when I turn on the aircraft the gimbal doesn't go into the proper position. It points about 5 to 10 degrees to the right, but also tilts to about 45 degrees. You can hear the motor trying to do something. So then if I gently push it up to level it stays there for a bit, then repeatedly tilts 45, comes back to level, tilts 45, comes back to level.

If I go in the DJI app from an iPad everything shows as Normal status - gimbal, AC, everything. But if I go in from my Fire tablet it says I need to update the AC firmware, the battery...and maybe the gimbal I forget. It says go to "Academy" to see videos on how do to this, but I have no idea what "Academy" is or how to find it.

Before I pack this thing up and send it to DJI for service, any suggestions on what I can do myself to try and fix this would be appreciated. I tried to check the aircraft firmware in the DJI Go app - but is says "unknown."

Did you try to calibrate the gimbal? I would also do an IMU calibration.

Had a mishap resulting in the camera yaw you describe and it turned out to be that the set screw on the shaft was not fully seated and had allowed the bracket to rotate away from the flat on the shaft. Was easy to fix on the vertical shaft, just turn upside down and you can see the end of the shaft and see the set screw on the side of the bracket. If that is the case be sure the bracket is clear of the cover or you will have unwanted rubbing. The horizontal shaft is the same situation (correction, there is not a set screw in there, but the calibration may fix that axis) but you have to remove the side cover plate to get to that. Just be careful if you go in there.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4