Gimbal overload/camera twitch

Reaction score
So today I caught an error message on the screen which said something along the lines of gimbal overload and I saw the screen/camera twitch almost 90degrees...As if the drone had came to an immediate halt - apart from it wasn't, was still moving.

I've saw this movement before and it had been unerving, although I had just put it down to my lack of flight experience (having only got the P4 in Jan17)...

However after today, I'm almost certain this is not something that I am doing and maybe something wrong with the gimbal...

Anyone else know of or have experience with camera/gimbal twitches and or an overload error message?

Cheers

Overload error message comes when motors reach the maximum current and it doesn't reduce over period of time. One of such cases is of obstructed motor.

Check what's restricting the motor movement, there are three motors on the gimbal.

I have not personally experienced twitching but I got overloads during starting directly from the lawns having thick and long grass.

Last edited:
Also if your gimbal is not obstructed and your flying fast in the wind, this happens often when panning at high speed (flying sideways) in the wind, the force of the air on the camera is greater than the gimbal motors can hold so you will get a warning. Slow down and it should recover. A couple of weeks ago this happened to me to the point the gimbal went limp and pointed straight down, I had to fly back home that way, landed and rebooted the craft and all reset and has been running normal since. High G force in a sharp turn can also cause this.

Also if your gimbal is not obstructed and your flying fast in the wind, this happens often when panning at high speed (flying sideways) in the wind, the force of the air on the camera is greater than the gimbal motors can hold so you will get a warning. Slow down and it should recover. A couple of weeks ago this happened to me to the point the gimbal went limp and pointed straight down, I had to fly back home that way, landed and rebooted the craft and all reset and has been running normal since. High G force in a sharp turn can also cause this.

True this can happen but I believe this would happen if the wind is pretty strong and much beyond 25mph.

I've seen it happen 2 or 3 times now - mid-air during flight.

It hasn't been particularly windy these days...Although I was perhaps doing about 12-14m/s - possibly with a slight skew.

Thanks for the info guys, seems like I'll need to keep a close eye on this to determine if is a fault.

Yup, limping the gimble is quite nerve racking the first time you do it. It's happened to me before as well. Doing a manual orbit at a quick rate will limp the gimble in a heartbeat. Gotta keep the yaw rate down when flying sideways. That combo will overload the gimble.

Reactions: d4niven

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic