Gimbal not quite level- Need advice

responded to your PM.

I'm also having this same issue- just tilted slightly to the side. Every picture is just a bit crooked

So am I. It's crazy that we can't adjust this. I called DJI, they said contact your dealer for a return. I called them, they said they are dealing with a lot of gimbal issues and they'll give me a call later today.

Their next shipment is something like two weeks out, and DJI is over 6 weeks out on repairs. Pretty bad situation.

msweigart said:
I'm also having this same issue- just tilted slightly to the side. Every picture is just a bit crooked

Many times the gimbal is pretty level, but still, sometimes its off! Very frustrating. But it makes me think the gimbal "balances" itself rather than having a mechanical "set" point. I'm going to try "weighting" the gimbal tonight and see if it has any effect. My plan is to attach a penny on the high side of the camera (for me, gimbal arm). I doubt it will work, but I'll keep you posted. It should be a simple matter of calibrating one of the axis of the gimbal, but DJI does not have this available in their software. Shtupid.

Actually, they do have this available in their software, which makes it REALLY stupid. In the NAZA-M software they have an option to fine tune the gimbal, it just doesn't exist in the Phantom software.

I just can't believe they are fully aware these things might need to be adjusted, but aren't letting us do so.

DrJoe said:
Many times the gimbal is pretty level, but still, sometimes its off! Very frustrating. But it makes me think the gimbal "balances" itself rather than having a mechanical "set" point. I'm going to try "weighting" the gimbal tonight and see if it has any effect. My plan is to attach a penny on the high side of the camera (for me, gimbal arm). I doubt it will work, but I'll keep you posted. It should be a simple matter of calibrating one of the axis of the gimbal, but DJI does not have this available in their software. Shtupid.

jalpert said:
Actually, they do have this available in their software, which makes it REALLY stupid. In the NAZA-M software they have an option to fine tune the gimbal, it just doesn't exist in the Phantom software.

I just can't believe they are fully aware these things might need to be adjusted, but aren't letting us do so.

DrJoe said:

Yep i tried to balance the camera using velcro on the high side to get the camera balanced out, didn't work.

I also found out you can adjust the gimbal in the NAZA M software but not in the Phantom Software, I have email all the DJI support centers, USA, Germany and China and not had one single reply. This is very poor and it should be a quick fix in a software update, they are obviously aware of if!!

D

Same deal... weighting one side didn't work.

DJI had me run through uninstalling and re-installing firmware and gimbal firmware. Sometimes better, sometimes still not level. They requested photos of the issue, which I sent them. I am now waiting on instructions for repair/replacement, but I REALLY don't want to part with it for 4-6 weeks after only having the thing for 3 weeks, so I pleaded with them to send me a replacement gimbal/camera assembly (wishful thinking).

I am thinking about opening up the back of the gimbal and seeing what I can see. Anyone try removing the three small Phillips head screws from the back of the gimbal yet?

I also notice that my gimbal was a few degrees to one side when powered up. Whats interesting is that when I'm ready to fly and I engage the props the gimbal does a little moving around and centers itself. I'm not going to complain being that it appears to be functioning properly but is this normal?

ShoreBird said:
I also notice that my gimbal was a few degrees to one side when powered up. Whats interesting is that when I'm ready to flow and I engage the props the gimbal does a little moving around and centers itself. I'm not going to complain being that it appears to be functioning properly but is this normal?

You are lucky, yours centers itself, mine and others always have a tilt, annoying as hell, as I have to edit it out in post production.

To top it all off, DJI still have not answered my email about the issue, so my guess is they know about this but will not acknowledge the fact.

Despite the camera tilt, i do love how it's flying though.

D

ShoreBird said:
I also notice that my gimbal was a few degrees to one side when powered up. Whats interesting is that when I'm ready to flow and I engage the props the gimbal does a little moving around and centers itself. I'm not going to complain being that it appears to be functioning properly but is this normal?

Mine does the same. When i start the motors, it centers itself, but it is slightly off before that. I sometimes get paranoid about the gimbal being tilted but then i realize it's either the wind pushing stronger, or even simply the fisheye effect being overly strong on the side of the video feed, tricking me into thinking that way.

My gimbal started making more noise than before though so i'm worried about th lifespan of those stabilizers, and also the curved part of the black ribbon which is hanging below the arm is slightly touching the rotating part which makes me also worry about how long it's gonna take before the constant rotating scratch it enough to break it... Hopefully there will be spare part before that. Or i can try to return it before that, but that seems a lot of hassle for something that actually seems fine.

It's pretty fragile, that's for sure ! >_<

THIS DOES NOT WORK. AFTER FURTHER FLIGHT TESTING I FOUND OUT IT LEVELS THE GIMBAL, BUT OFFSETS THE IMU CAUSING THE PHANTOM TO FLY CROOKED.
DON'T USE IT.

I think I found a fix for the tilted gimbal in the roll axis in the Vision +. Mine was tilted about a degree or two - came that way. It was readily apparent when the copter was turned on and on a level surface with the camera active. You could see the slight angle in roll by just looking at the camera - or the video.
Here's how I fixed it:
1. You have to cheat in the calibration process using the PT2 assistant - make it think it is level. I put the copter on a level surface - and then tilted it by putting one landing gear on my iPhone (about 1/4 inch higher than the other). With the camera facing me on a level surface, the camera was tilted up on the right corner - so I lifted the left landing gear higher.
2. Turn on your copter battery with the one landing gear higher, plug it into the computer and turn on the PT2 assistant software.
3. Go to the Tools menu.
4. Hit Check IMU Status (if you want). Mine says it does not need calibration. Don't pay attention to it.
5. Press the Basic Cali button and let it calibrate.

When I put it down on a level surface, the camera was level. You just cheated it into a "new" level that compensates for the tilt. You might have to adjust how high you lift one end based on your particular tilt angle. Hope this works for everyone.

Hmm. Doesn't this throw off "level" flight for the IMU? How did she fly after this "fix"? I'd think it couldn't stay level. Please update.

parbar said:
I think I found a fix for the tilted gimbal in the roll axis in the Vision +. Mine was tilted about a degree or two - came that way. It was readily apparent when the copter was turned on and on a level surface with the camera active. You could see the slight angle in roll by just looking at the camera - or the video.
Here's how I fixed it:
1. You have to cheat in the calibration process using the PT2 assistant - make it think it is level. I put the copter on a level surface - and then tilted it by putting one landing gear on my iPhone (about 1/4 inch higher than the other). With the camera facing me on a level surface, the camera was tilted up on the right corner - so I lifted the left landing gear higher.
2. Turn on your copter battery with the one landing gear higher, plug it into the computer and turn on the PT2 assistant software.
3. Go to the Tools menu.
4. Hit Check IMU Status (if you want). Mine says it does not need calibration. Don't pay attention to it.
5. Press the Basic Cali button and let it calibrate.

When I put it down on a level surface, the camera was level. You just cheated it into a "new" level that compensates for the tilt. You might have to adjust how high you lift one end based on your particular tilt angle. Hope this works for everyone.

Do NOT take this advice. He posted in another thread that it doesn't work. It does throw off the IMU for level flight. Here's his correction thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15085

No way I'd screw with the IMU like that. I'd rather have an off kilter gimbal than an off kilter IMU. Actually, I'd rather have neither that's why I returned mine. Waiting for another to ship.

I can't believe we can't fix such a simple problem.

DrJoe said:
Hmm. Doesn't this throw off "level" flight for the IMU? How did she fly after this "fix"? I'd think it couldn't stay level. Please update.

Has anyone done an advanced IMU calibration and gotten the camera to level out? I'm talking about the tilt/roll axis, not the yaw. Also just thought it'd be good to keep this thread alive.

yep i've done countless advanced IMU calibrations, but i still have the tilt.

My best solution was rolling back to V1.0.8 it took about 1 degree out of the original 3 degrees of tilt, so now i am down to about 2 degrees of tilt.

It's still a pain in the butt as it has to be corrected in post production, still i'd rather do that than send this back, i know this is an easy software fix, but DJI won't acknowledge the problem, so till they do, or someone can come up with a software fix, it's a case of stick with it.

D

Have you checked your gimbal arm? Some people are reporting them bent out of the box, is it possible you have one that is slightly bent?

drmgcm69 said:
yep i've done countless advanced IMU calibrations, but i still have the tilt.

My best solution was rolling back to V1.0.8 it took about 1 degree out of the original 3 degrees of tilt, so now i am down to about 2 degrees of tilt.

It's still a pain in the butt as it has to be corrected in post production, still i'd rather do that than send this back, i know this is an easy software fix, but DJI won't acknowledge the problem, so till they do, or someone can come up with a software fix, it's a case of stick with it.

D

Here's mine.

Mine wored perfectly for the last 3 weeks (since I got it) Flew it yesterday, fine. This morning This is what happened.

i tried Upgrading firmware and now help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl