Gimbal not level in flight

Reaction score
What's the situation with a fix for the gimbal not level in flight. I have auto leveled that on the ground on a very flat surface as well as verify that the imu is calibrated but despite all that the gimbal at times, I should say most of the time is slightly askew. I have read in other forums this problem has been noticed by many. I have read that hitting auto calibrate in-flight sometimes helps. What does everyone think?

As you have probably seen in the dozens of related threads, horizon issues are too common.

Is your horizon off by the same amount / angle all of the time? If so, a simple gimbal roll adjustment might help you if you have already done the proper calibrations.

Does your horizon change during flight - tilting one way, then level, then tilting the other way as you yaw? If so, history has demonstrated that you probably wont be able to fix that particular issue without sending it in, and perhaps not even then. Most people who are not impacted by this issue will reply and tell you to do a cold IMU calibration (perfectly level!!!), gimbal roll adjustment, mid air gimbal calibration, it's the wind, it's the props, fix it in post, etc. All could be valid for a simple static horizon tilt. A random and dynamically changing horizon tilt is entirely different.

I used my iPhone bubble level (in compass app). I'll redo it and verify level in all axis's. I've been doing the imu and auto level calibration for the Gimbal on my countertop.

Just got my P3 Pro from Amazon 3 days ago and I've been through three flights. I've been through the IMU and gimbal calibration twice, both times on a perfectly level surface, and calibrated the compass. Yet the horizon is sometimes straight and sometimes not. To me it looks like an issue with "slop" in the gimbal mechanism because if I roll back and forth left and right, it sometimes corrects it but sometimes it doesn't come back to level: it's about 1 degree off. Adjusting the gimball roll seems to be a fruitless operation because if you level it when it's unlevel, it'll just roll the opposite direction next time. It's almost as if there's 1 degree of slop in the gimbal mechanism and it can't quite come back to level from a tilt (in one direction). I'll have a look at the mechanicals to see if anything looks "loose". Not a huge deal but would like to resolve it if I can.

P.S. My first post too, so... hello everyone!

Mike

OK, I checked it out as thoroughly as I could. I don't see anything loose or any indication of any slop in the mechanism. I turned it on and rolled it, yawed it, and pitched it (on the table, not flying) and the camera seemed to stay level. Not sure what is going on that causes it to tilt a little while flying. I could be wrong but it looked like the camera wasn't perfectly level when you yaw the craft and the gimbal is slowly yawing the camera back to center. I wonder if the instances where I've seen an unlevel horizon occurred when I just went through a yaw maneuver and the camera was on it's way back to the forward POV. Not sure what else to check.

Mike

OK, I checked it out as thoroughly as I could. I don't see anything loose or any indication of any slop in the mechanism. I turned it on and rolled it, yawed it, and pitched it (on the table, not flying) and the camera seemed to stay level. Not sure what is going on that causes it to tilt a little while flying. I could be wrong but it looked like the camera wasn't perfectly level when you yaw the craft and the gimbal is slowly yawing the camera back to center. I wonder if the instances where I've seen an unlevel horizon occurred when I just went through a yaw maneuver and the camera was on it's way back to the forward POV. Not sure what else to check.

Mike
Did you turn gimbal to follow to off in DJI Go App.

Oso

What have you done to correct it?

My p3adv is only a month old too
Sorry for the delayed response.
I've had the P3 for about a year and I have never been able to fix the drifting horizon.

Check what the flight circumstances are when you see the horizon tilt. For example, I noticed that while the horizon is perfect when flying forward or backwards, it sometimes shows a noticeable tilt when flying sideways especially at higher speeds. Go one way sideways at 30mph, then go back looking the same way at the same speed. Compare the horizons. I think it has to do with the wind pushing against the side of the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj