gimbal noise p4

Reaction score
hello guys
When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fails to many times you can see it in the attach video and another thing the camera is not straight it stays side ways this is normal??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
hello guys
When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fails to many times you can see it in the attach video and another thing the camera is not straight it stays side ways this is normal??

Nope. Not normal.
See if you can fix it yourself by tightening all visible gimbal screws first.
It has worked for others.

If not, you got a lemon.
Return it immediately and get one that has no squeaks upon bootup. It will also lock up in flight with a gimbal at end of range error!

Last edited:
hello guys

Yea that sucks. Quality control. I'm sure they'll get you a new one, but the whole process is deflating. You're excited to receive it, start it up, and then... o_O

The P4 is my 6th DJI drone, 3 earlier models I've had had some sort of tweaky/weird sounds. I return. Typically they don't affect performance, but it's disconcerting (and audibly annoying).

Yea that sucks. Quality control. I'm sure they'll get you a new one, but the whole process is deflating. You're excited to receive it, start it up, and then... o_O

The P4 is my 6th DJI drone, 3 earlier models I've had had some sort of tweaky/weird sounds. I return. Typically they don't affect performance, but it's disconcerting (and audibly annoying).
Problem fixed apple store exchange new p4

I have the same gimbal noises as discussed by the gentleman in this video
, both the startup sound and the one when the gimbal hangs. I spoke with DJI and they say this sound is normal? I guess in that case I am stuck with mine the way it is, any others like this?

I guess I'll have the squeak as I did not buy from Apple or Best Buy and DJI says it's normal so they are not going to do anything. My retailer where I purchased told me to contact DJI as they go on their recommendation so hopefully it doesn't get worse or affect my gimbal.

I guess I'll have the squeak as I did not buy from Apple or Best Buy and DJI says it's normal so they are not going to do anything. My retailer where I purchased told me to contact DJI as they go on their recommendation so hopefully it doesn't get worse or affect my gimbal.

Try tightening all visible gimbal screws first.
Seems to be the real source of the squeak.

I'd that doesn't fix it, it's not normal, and you need to speak to a manager and demand an exchange. Do not accept their BS that it is normal. DJI reps and managers will lie to discourage exchanges and refunds per unwritten but clear marching orders from China that they claim are "policy." Get a manager on the phone, and demand an exchange for a manufacturing defect, as it will cause the gimbal to lock up sooner or later. Other units do not have this squeak! It's not "normal!"

Last edited:
Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
Some people might be following whats happening with my SECOND P4, meaning a second ONE, my first was fine. The second has been a nightmare that has made me feel less of an entusiast with my frustrations. And then the one I got today after breaking down from trying to trouble shoot had exactly this issue. I didn't even take the plastic off and will be bringing it back tomorrow but I don't know if it will be an exchange or a return. 3 chances I think might be too many and I am ruining my good standing with Apple because of this stupid thing. And to make matters worse, there were ZERO stickers in there, which is just bizarre. I don't care about that but it speaks to the inconsistencies with DJI. I have the S1000 which is a workhorse and not "fun" to fly.

I love the P3P and my other P4 and use them for fun and fun photography as I think the camera looks fabulous even with h264 compression at the end of it but I am not having fun right now and actually am sort of just frustrated with DJI. The customer support offered LITERALLY nothing in the way of offers of things to try to troubleshoot and I swear at times, i was telling them something I was going to try or had tried, and they didn't know the the thing I was taking about. One of them didn't know what a gyroscope was. I swear to god. How do you work in tech at DJI and not know what a gyro is????

I've sent another email to DJI US as advised by the Chinese tech was talking to. Hopefully hear something back. I've done a gimbal calibration as suggested by them but it doesn't do anything to the issue. My retailer is willing to send me a new one but have to have the DJI go ahead.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Some people might be following whats happening with my SECOND P4, meaning a second ONE, my first was fine. The second has been a nightmare that has made me feel less of an entusiast with my frustrations. And then the one I got today after breaking down from trying to trouble shoot had exactly this issue. I didn't even take the plastic off and will be bringing it back tomorrow but I don't know if it will be an exchange or a return. 3 chances I think might be too many and I am ruining my good standing with Apple because of this stupid thing. And to make matters worse, there were ZERO stickers in there, which is just bizarre. I don't care about that but it speaks to the inconsistencies with DJI. I have the S1000 which is a workhorse and not "fun" to fly.

I love the P3P and my other P4 and use them for fun and fun photography as I think the camera looks fabulous even with h264 compression at the end of it but I am not having fun right now and actually am sort of just frustrated with DJI. The customer support offered LITERALLY nothing in the way of offers of things to try to troubleshoot and I swear at times, i was telling them something I was going to try or had tried, and they didn't know the the thing I was taking about. One of them didn't know what a gyroscope was. I swear to god. How do you work in tech at DJI and not know what a gyro is????
I hear DJI tech support hires those that get fired from Best Buy for incompetence. :p Sorry for your troubles. At least you have one good one. Gives the rest of us hope there might be another good one, out there in the distribution channel, somewhere! :cool:

Reactions: Jussaguy
I hear DJI tech support hires those that get fired from Best Buy for incompetence. :p Sorry for your troubles. At least you have one good one. Gives the rest of us hope there might be another good one, out there in the distribution channel, somewhere! :cool:
I would love to say that I'm happy to provide the public service but the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was "ugh, I have to deal with that P4 again today" which I am sick of in a way I can't even describe. I'm definitely not getting another one and I'm annoyed I have to even go to the store.

All I'm saying is Apple got in bed with the wrong people although they are flying off the shelves. From a business stand point they are doing great with the P4. Howevr, if you are not in the know, you might keep this definitely broken gimbal and it would fly fine for 3-6 months or less and then bam, gimbal overload and you have to RMA it. Bump that. There is a guy on the DJI website that had to go THROUGH 6 BEFORE he got one that was in good working order.

As an early adopter, I have patience for error but this is beyond and again, the worst roll out in the history of anything that I've watched roll out and was a part of. If DJI survives this, I'll be amazed. I don't know they can unless they keep their people that could actually help locked up. If they will let me open it at the store (they didn't yesterday, he said just bring it back if it doesn't work) and I asked him and said "there is a decent chance there is something wrong with this and I'll bring it back, are you sure you want to let me exchange it" so at this point I'm not demanding anything, I'm going to embarrassingly go back to Apple and tell them and show them (NOBODY AT APPLE) knows anything about the P4. Yesterday as I was showing the guy what was wrong with the other one before the exchange, there were like 7 Apple employees watching and asking questions about the Phantom that would be asked by someone that saw a prosumer UAS for the first time ever.

I'm thinking they made some decisions about selling the P4 based on the end run of the P3X.

Although again, he told me they come in and go out daily and aside from iphone is the best seller in the store. Not sure how I feel about that comment.

I would love to say that I'm happy to provide the public service but the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was "ugh, I have to deal with that P4 again today" which I am sick of in a way I can't even describe. I'm definitely not getting another one and I'm annoyed I have to even go to the store.

All I'm saying is Apple got in bed with the wrong people although they are flying off the shelves. From a business stand point they are doing great with the P4. Howevr, if you are not in the know, you might keep this definitely broken gimbal and it would fly fine for 3-6 months or less and then bam, gimbal overload and you have to RMA it. Bump that. There is a guy on the DJI website that had to go THROUGH 6 BEFORE he got one that was in good working order.

As an early adopter, I have patience for error but this is beyond and again, the worst roll out in the history of anything that I've watched roll out and was a part of. If DJI survives this, I'll be amazed. I don't know they can unless they keep their people that could actually help locked up. If they will let me open it at the store (they didn't yesterday, he said just bring it back if it doesn't work) and I asked him and said "there is a decent chance there is something wrong with this and I'll bring it back, are you sure you want to let me exchange it" so at this point I'm not demanding anything, I'm going to embarrassingly go back to Apple and tell them and show them (NOBODY AT APPLE) knows anything about the P4. Yesterday as I was showing the guy what was wrong with the other one before the exchange, there were like 7 Apple employees watching and asking questions about the Phantom that would be asked by someone that saw a prosumer UAS for the first time ever.

I'm thinking they made some decisions about selling the P4 based on the end run of the P3X.

Although again, he told me they come in and go out daily and aside from iphone is the best seller in the store. Not sure how I feel about that comment.
Maybe you just keep getting used ones that others have crashed and returned saying it was like this when i bought it. Sounds like someone has been using it if the stickers are missing.

Try tightening all visible gimbal screws first.
Seems to be the source of the problem! :cool:

If that doesn't fix it, I would just get a refund now, and wait until they get a new shipment in, or buy from Best Buy, to get a different shipment, as if they are all from the same shipment, odds increase that they are all the same. DJI and Apple are doing just fine financially! Apple knows nothing about the P4, and anything an Apple store employee knows about it, they learned from a customer like yourself! Same with Best Buy!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to post a link to another topic in this forum, so the below link may not work correctly... but for what it's worth there is a topic about "ph4 gimbal screaming" where the OP said a DJI tech recommended he tighten all the screws on the gimbal and it actually worked... He uploaded the before video with the screaming issue (which sounds similar to the above) and the after video where it seems the issue was resolved.

Dji ph4 Gimbal Screaming issue !!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31