Gimbal Noise only looking straight ahead...

Thanks wawa, your video won't load though.

Bird, mine started before my firmware update and has continued since I updated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Blah. Guess I'll take them up on the RMA then and just get it fixed before the warm weather gets here.

I sent mine to dji, they had it for about 2 days, sent it back, noise is gone, and the "gimbal overload" issue is fixed.

If you have the noise, I suggest contacting dji.

The vendor swapped me for a new one. Perfect now. If your gimbal motor is getting hot and / or making a loud humming sound then I suggest sending it in for repair. Seems like there may have been a batch that got out with bad gimbal servos.

Yup, that video shows it well.

My gimbal was almost silent until I did firmware upgrade - it made the same noise as in the first video for 20 mins then stopped when the update finished. They all seem to make a very low hum
Cheers
Brian

During the firmware upgrade it was because that circuit was no longer in control of the stepper motor until the bd rebooted with the new firmware.

The loud hum it emits when there is a bad section of coils in the motor is much louder then what you heard. This because it needs to dump much more current into the stepper to get it to try and hold position. This is also the reason it gets much hotter then is normal and then leads to the system detecting an overload and flashing the warning on screen.... It also drives quite a bit of vibration into the entire gimbal system that it of course tries to correct for and causes the jello effect you see in some videos with bad gimbals. When it's working you may hear a slight quiet hum (very background like) with absolute rock solid video. The metal discs that sit on the outside of the gimbal (the stepper motor housings) should never be more than luke warm at rest. Point being, there is a difference.

Mine was only bad between level and pointing up at the extra 30deg because that was the bad section of the stepper motor and the point at which it had to work the hardest. It was fine moving down from level. In forward flight I would receive a slight up and down bobble as it tried to hold the correct position through this bad section of the stepper. Now with my new gimbal; quite and rock solid no mater where it is facing.

----

In re-reading my previous post I do appreciate your input in that there is no need to be worried if you hear the quite background hum that is normally present or if you hear the slightly louder hum during a firmware update as these are normal. Only if you are getting some odd artifacts in the way your video is being recorded like jello or a bobbing of the video in any of the axis (up/down, left/right, rolling left/right) These may be reasons to understand it further whether it is normal.

Last edited:
I have two Standards and both of them exhibit a slight gimbal hum. Difficult to tell which axis but best I can tell it is from the roll axis or tilt motor. The hum isn't loud & remains constant regardless of camera position. There is no sign of excessive heat.

Hmm, I guess the noise I hear from mine isn't normal. I noticed at higher speeds, the video does get some vibration-like shaking/wobbling.

I have two Standards and both of them exhibit a slight gimbal hum. Difficult to tell which axis but best I can tell it is from the roll axis or tilt motor. The hum isn't loud & remains constant regardless of camera position. There is no sign of excessive heat.

That sounds about right for a good gimbal. This largest problem with describing such a problem is that it is a subjective measurement. The main thing is to observe is if you get any jello or slow bobbing of an axis in your final video. As others have said, jello can be from badly balanced blades, so swap those first before assuming a gimbal problem.

Hmm, I guess the noise I hear from mine isn't normal. I noticed at higher speeds, the video does get some vibration-like shaking/wobbling.

At higher speeds the quad is further tilted over and the gimbal needs to rotate up to stay looking at the horizon. Placing the quad on the table and no props (for safety), power it on. Then rotate the quad forward on its legs to about 30deg tilt, does the gimbal make a him that gets considerably louder as you do that? That would be the issue mine exhibited. (Higher speeds can also be prop related so swap props just to make sure. )

the noise I heard, and it was only horizontal was not a hum but a loud screaching hum.... it was clearly different than any minor hum if that helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20