Gimbal Noise only looking straight ahead...

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been reading the forum since I decided to buy my first Phantom last month. I bought the P3S and I live it. After reading through a lot of the forums I added the DBS mod earlier this week, which works really well. But now I seem to have a strange noise coming from my Phantom only when the camera is pointed straight ahead, if i rotate it down the noise goes away. I Wasn't able to fly for the last 2 weeks and i don't really remember if it was doing that before. I linked a Youtube video(below) of what it is doing. Hopefully somebody can tell me if that is normal or if i messed something up.

Thanks
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey guys. I've been reading the forum since I decided to buy my first Phantom last month. I bought the P3S and I live it. After reading through a lot of the forums I added the DBS mod earlier this week, which works really well. But now I seem to have a strange noise coming from my Phantom only when the camera is pointed straight ahead, if i rotate it down the noise goes away. I Wasn't able to fly for the last 2 weeks and i don't really remember if it was doing that before. I linked a Youtube video(below) of what it is doing. Hopefully somebody can tell me if that is normal or if i messed something up.

Thanks
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That does not sound normal, I would try to contact DJI and see what they say. If you don't insist you want it fixed, they will not just offer to fix it though.

That's a bit much. I have noticed sometimes mine makes more noise Straight ahead too but no where near that much of an increase, even then it usually goes away after moving the gimbal around a little.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I contacted DJI through there online chat. I told the rep what was going on. They issued me a RMA with out asking any questions. I'm not necessarily complaining, but it seems a bit odd to just issue a RMA without any questions. Ohwell. I guess ill take it

Reactions: jointeffort
I contacted DJI through there online chat. I told the rep what was going on. They issued me a RMA with out asking any questions. I'm not necessarily complaining, but it seems a bit odd to just issue a RMA without any questions. Ohwell. I guess ill take it

The picture is shaky or the drone is. From what I could tell last night my camera still work great. They said a 3 wk turn around and I rarely keep the camera point straight anyways.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to fly again tonight. I'll do some pictures and video and see if I notice anything

I noticed yesterday that my Standard gimbal constantly emits a low hum from the camera tilt motor. It doesn't matter what position the camera is tilted to it is the same low hum. Almost sounds like the Advanced/Pro fans running. The tilt motor doesn't seem to be getting excessively warm or negatively affecting camera operation so I will just be keeping an eye on it for the time being.

I never thought to check and see if it's getting hot. It's odd that's it's only in one position. I don't see where it's effecting anything else, all my pictures and movies are coming in clear. So I think I'll just keep an eye on it also

Got the noise also when I was out in the cold. But it does not always occur. Must be the condensation.

That's a posibility. It has been pretty cold out lately.

Whenever, and I mean everytime, I first start-up my phantom, the camera buzzes, and I have to lower the camera angle downward to stop it, from making noise.
Also the camera seems to shiver, ever so slightly, for the first minute, and also, when I move forward at anything over 15 MPH.

Humming here also. Had a bobble in the tilt access until I ran an IMU cal which seams to have resolved it. With respect to easy RMAs, seams like DJI hands them out without a flinch to insure a happy customer. I received one after replying that my issues appear to have been resolved. Still have the humming. My brother bought a P3S at the same time and his gimbal is quite. Will need to compare video / gimbal performance between the too.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, eventually I started getting "gimbal overload", and shaky video. even when the motor was off. would go away when pointed down..

DJI issued an RMA and it's with them now.

J Mc <--- youtube videos of issue

I also have a couple threads on it at the dji site.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic